New ring circuit from socket

where is the 'lectricity coming from? This is just one big loop with branches off for the lights
I can but 'assume' (always dangerous, exceptionally so in this thread!) that the two 'dead end' wires heading off to the left of the diagram (one at top, t'other at bottom) go to the rest of the ring.

Kind Regards, John

They sure do go in the ring but the fuse is out till I buy some lights so the two ends are not live.

Sponsored Links
I can but 'assume' (always dangerous, exceptionally so in this thread!) that the two 'dead end' wires heading off to the left of the diagram (one at top, t'other at bottom) go to the rest of the ring.
They sure do go in the ring but the fuse is out till I buy some lights so the two ends are not live.
In that case, how do you know that 'it works'?

Kind Regards, John

How is it wrong when it works fine
From what I understand amidst all the confusion, I don't actually doubt that 'it works' - but that doesn't mean that it is conventional, sensible or even necessarily even safe. It could well 'work', even if there were exposed live bare conductors all over the place - but that would not be 'recommended'!

Kind Regards, John

If it takes a week to walk a fortnight , how many peas are in a barrel of apples

Sponsored Links
ohhhhh I didn't realise riveralt drew that diagram, I thought it was one the OP had posted.

:oops:
Isn't interesting how BAS can twist even the simplest of helpful actions.
I was skimming through the topic, and saw a drawing in a post from riveralt, and I thought it was a sketch he had made of how he thought it should be done.

Indeed - but I'm not clear as to what makes BAS think that what he posted is what the OP has had done!
It's what he asked if he could do.

I was going by this:

Can I put 1 of the live wires out the socket into a junction box follow it around and go back into the same socket ?
Not sure how that statement corresponds to your drawing.

go0x.jpg

(Apologies to those with small screens, but any smaller and it might not have been clear)

Indeed - but I'm not clear as to what makes BAS think that what he posted is what the OP has had done!
It's what he asked if he could do.
It is, indeed. However, you wrote/asked:
OK - I give up. What am I not seeing in this which is causing people to get so agitated:
... and what 'you were not seeing ... which is causing people to get so agitated' was that the OP (or his friend) did not do what he was asking about but, rather, did something very different (per the diagram which riveralt rotated for him) - which I would have expected to have got you 'agitated' as well :)

Kind Regards, John

So either they connect into the ring or they're tails for the lights, who knows?!

Jesus Christ... How difficult is it to break into a ring to extend a circuit...?

Nothing I've seen in this post shows thats what been done.

Quite, seems much more likely that it's actually a figure-8 configuration now
Quite - with a socket at the centre of the "8" and another socket spurred off that one, using two cables in parallel. I suppose it's at least 'different', and perhaps quite fitting for a Friday evening, even before I've got the first bottle opened :)

Kind Regards, John

However, you wrote/asked:
OK - I give up. What am I not seeing in this which is causing people to get so agitated:
... and what 'you were not seeing ... which is causing people to get so agitated' was that the OP (or his friend) did not do what he was asking about but, rather, did something very different (per the diagram which riveralt rotated for him) - which I would have expected to have got you 'agitated' as well :)
As I said - I was pretty much ignoring riveralt by then - I didn't click on the drawing to enlarge it.

I have 3 sets of wires in the socket I want to go from, 2 our live, 1 is dead .
Can I put 1 of the live wires out the socket into a junction box follow it around and go back into the same socket ?
Assuming you have a ring final circuit three sets of wires can mean many things.
Do you have three red/brown, three black/blue and three earths? Or do you have one of each?
If you have three of each then this socket is not suitable to create a fused spur unless you can remove what appears to be an existing spur already.
If you have one of each then this socket is already a spur and you cannot spur from a spur.
even though he'd not asked if he couls spur his new sockets.

So 1 set into junction box, into 3 new sockets and back to the same socket would be a ring circuit plus the same amount of wires in that socket.
No.
You cannot do what you are saying - stop trying to extend the ring and focus on adding a fused spur.

I did ask riveralt why he said "No", but I don't know what he replied, as he went back and changed it before I came back to the topic.

And when I did, I read this:

He has looked what I have done and this is what he has come up with.

From socket up stairs into junction box , to double socket , to F.S for 1 light, to double socket , to F.S for another light, to double socket and back down stairs into double socket.
i.e. the OP saying that what had been done was what he had asked if could be done, i.e. (apart from the FCUs) what I drew, not him describing doing something else.

I will post a picture of diagram of the job.

but on my return, by which time the topic was into 2 or 3 pages, I saw no diagram from him. I saw something in a post by riveralt, which I didn't look at, because by then I'd pretty much lost interest riveralt's opinions, so strange had been his initial objections.

I saw people asking about 4 cables in a socket, to which lofthelp replied:

No socket has 4 cables in it. It had 3 in it and still has 3 now because 1 was took out to go in junction box and ringed back into that socket.
i.e. saying for a second time that what had been done was what he had twice said would be done.

I may have missed this:

Your picture says otherwise.
You are also missing cables coming into the starting downstairs socket.
You cannot connect this circuit as it is shown in the diagram.
But I did not miss this seemingly unjustified sarcastic reaction to lofthelp saying that the work had been tested by the person who did it:

Jimmy the electrician was there a few minutes ago - he tested it and left his business card as well. ;) So it must be correct mustn't it. :rolleyes:

At this point, still in catch-up mode, I decided that riveralt, for some reason, had completely lost the plot. And I saw this from you:

No socket has 4 cables in it. It had 3 in it and still has 3 now because 1 was took out to go in junction box and ringed back into that socket.
Three plus one 'going back into it' equals 4, doesn't it?
which, as my emphasis of lofthelp's post saying for a second time that what had been done was what he had twice said would be done shows, was yet another post from someone imagining something very different from what seemed to me a consistent set of descriptions from the OP.

So around about then I started my reply asking what on earth I was missing. This had not yet been posted:

Three plus one 'going back into it' equals 4, doesn't it? More to the point, it's crazy! You really ought to get an electrician to sort that mess out.
No 3 plus 1 going out is 2. Then back to socket is 3 your maths is really bad.
What? !!! Even if my maths is bad, I can at least count ... How many cables going to this socket:
??
So I didn't see it, or the 5 posts which were made after it while I was crafting and uploading my drawing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back