Socket Melted

Sponsored Links
No, it's definately heat damage.

I don't know why, but overloaded sockets always crack just like that.

story_08.jpg

That's true.

I've been doing some experiments on this very subject, and will eventually publish the results once my reasearch is complete.

Sponsored Links
Put '00s of A from your welder through one - we like to see things catch fire/explode.

What is the rating on the back of the MK socket?

It is 13A isn't it?

1) you mean two cables, each with 3 wires in them? To find out if it is a ring, turn off the power, test for dead, and then test for continuity between the two reds (or browns), the two blacks (or blues), and the two greenandyellows. Never assume.

That doesn't ensure you have ring final back to the board, you need to isolate both legs at either end and check that each leg is continuous only within itself and that there is no continuity between each separate leg .

What has actually melted here is it the plug or the socket, if it's the socket then both appliances must have been running together for quite a time to melt the plug to the socket as the average drier and WM combined would only be about 17-18amps combined(and thats the heater element of the WM)

If its the plug then does the appliance have it's original lead attached.

I would be inclined to get the appliances and the installation checked out as it sounds possible you may have some sort of fault

No, it's definately heat damage.

I don't know why, but overloaded sockets always crack just like that.

story_08.jpg

Granted I am not a pro (just a C Eng) and have not seen all that many but the cause of every overheated socket I have seen has been the contact between the pin (plug) and the spring clip in the socket. Yours look as if it is the same problem. Nothing to do with overloading - just poor contact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back