Socket on lighting circuit (warning, pointless squabbling removed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hola,

I want to attach an Amazon Echo to the ceiling in my room, in the attic there is only a lighting circuit and no sockets, is it possible to connect a socket to the lighting wiring just for the echo?

Ta:D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I would suggest though, that a label be attached to the socket, describing its limitation. That's what I do.

Hola,

I want to attach an Amazon Echo to the ceiling in my room, in the attic there is only a lighting circuit and no sockets, is it possible to connect a socket to the lighting wiring just for the echo?

Ta:D

Having just googled an image the device why do you actually want to the mount the device to the ceiling. What are you trying to achieve?

Having just googled an image the device why do you actually want to the mount the device to the ceiling. What are you trying to achieve?

I would guess this kind of thing - that's what I've done, but with a Dot rather than an Echo. Seen it done with an Echo, but it does look a bit odd (IMHO). Dot pick-up on the ceiling, in my front room at least, has been far better than anywhere else it has "traditionally" been sited (in multiple places). Ceiling mounting gives you flexibility to place it further away from walls and away from corners, where it tends to work better (in my experience).

I have a socket on my lighting circuit, it does not have a fuse in either the plug or socket and it is allowed in fact a really good idea as it allows me to wire the heavy chandler on the ground then slide in the plug with hook and chandler all pre-wired. Yes I know this is not the type of socket you are talking about, however fitting a socket has to be allowed to be able to use the special plugs and sockets designed for lights.

However in theory every light bulb should have a fuse incorporated in it, this is so when the bulb fails with ionisation the internal fuse will rupture rather than loosing the whole circuit, this does not actually work any more as the 6 amp type B MCB will trip before the fuse ruptures, but the idea remains, if some thing fails it should not take out the whole circuit. So again theory if you fit a fuse in supply to socket then any overload will result in that fuse blowing not the whole lighting circuit.

However as with the light bulb in practice even a 1 amp fuse which is the smallest that will fit in a standard 13A fuse holder will likely not rupture before the 6A MCB opens, so rather pointless fitting one.

However you can use other methods to remove the danger from a lighting circuit failing, use of table and standard lamps, use of battery backed lamps, I have a torch which sits in a charger always plugged in which auto comes on with a power failure. This means what could be regarded as dangerous in one house would not be considered as any more than an inconvenience in another.

So you need to do a risk assessment for your house, if the lighting circuit fails what is the likely result, I will give an example, in my house loft is floored so if some one trips the lights then I can get out without the risk of falling through the ceiling, father-in-laws house exactly same design has no floor boards in loft so for him a real danger if lights fail. So how likely is it that some one plugs in a large load, how likely is it the appliance with fail opening the circuit, etc. Including of course does it really need to be supplied from lights.

If you are sure it is safe go ahead, if unsure don't it is as simple as that.

Pretty much all the lofts I have ever been in with a socket, the socket is a part of the lighting circuit (a common example might be for the TV Arial booster).

So by way of an answer, yes, and it is a common thing to have a socket or 2 on the lighting circuit

As for the technical thing, a 'lighting circuit' (at keast where you have a consumer unit with RCDs rather than a fuse box with fuses) is simply a circuit where the electrician installing it has written "Lighting Circuit" on the label. Technically it is the same as a socket circuit. OK so for the 'lighting' circuit the cable will often be smaller but so will the circuit protection (what protects the cable from for example overheating). As such there is no reason you cannot install a socket in this circuit. You might have to note however that since the cable is likely to be smaller it cannot carry as much current - but you will be able to see what that is (typically 6A) when you look in the consumer unit.

The other option would be plugging the Echo for into the shaver socket, is there such a thing as a 2 pin to usb cable?

Ta

As for the technical thing, a 'lighting circuit' (at keast where you have a consumer unit with RCDs rather than a fuse box with fuses) is simply a circuit where the electrician installing it has written "Lighting Circuit" on the label. Technically it is the same as a socket circuit.
Even though they give no useful definition (even with slight improvement due in the upcoming new edition of the regs), those who write the regulations seem to perceive at elast some differences. In particular, if a circuit is not a "lighting circuit" (whatever that might be) it cannot, according to the regs, be wired using 1mm² cable.

Kind Regards, John

It's my bathroom sorry. The shaver socket is on the wall. Wondering if it would be better to get a cable of some sort and have the Echo dot on the cabinet and not the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back