Socket on lighting circuit (warning, pointless squabbling removed)

It's my bathroom sorry. The shaver socket is on the wall. Wondering if it would be better to get a cable of some sort and have the Echo dot on the cabinet and not the ceiling.
Well, you could do that, but if you'd prefer to have it on a ceiling, there's nothing wrong with what you proposed. I would merely say that, if you do put a 13A socket on the lighting circuit (in the loft) for the Echo Dot, it would be advisable to label the socket in some way to warn people that it was not suitable for large loads.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Surely they say why? Is it still alright if one uses flexible cable?
Indeed - I suppose it must be the stiffness of 1mm² T+E which makes it unsuitable for non-lighting circuits :)

I wonder if things like SWA and Hi-Tuf count as 'flexible' ?!

Kind Regards, John

Of more importance than whether such a socket is allowed, is why would anyone voluntarily put a big brother device into their home ?

... is why would anyone voluntarily put a big brother device into their home ?
Maybe because big brother's siblings were already paying so much attention to them that they did not think that another would make much difference?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
How about fitting a USB only outlet plate with no 13A socket, like this...
That would seem an ideal solution for a device that derives power from a 'USB charger'.

However, this issue often arises in relation to devices such as aerial amplifiers, routers etc. which are powered by a walwart (not a USB charger) that will only plug into a 13A BS1363 socket, so what you suggest is not a general solution to the 'socket on a lighting circuit in the loft' issue.

Kind Regards, John

The usb only socket looks just the job thanks. I have a shaver socket already in the bathroom, are shaver sockets with usb available please?

Never seen one, and I doubt they would be made. One of the specific features of a shaver socket is that it provides an isolated SINGLE output that is not referenced to earth - so it's not possible to have a live to earth shock. Once you have two outlets, then there's scope for a fault to earth on one making the other live. Not to mention, I wouldn't have thought that there was all that much call for USB by the bathroom sink.

Hi, what is the 230 socket for anyway? My shaver socket has 2 pin 110v and 230v options.

I took it as he was querying why they have a 240 volt output option, I maybe wrong but wasn't the 230 volt more for uk shavers in the past and the 110 option for overseas visitors, whereas nowadays shavers, i assume like the ops can handle virtually any charge voltage within reason including 110 and 230

I took it as he was querying why they have a 240 volt output option, I maybe wrong but wasn't the 230 volt more for uk shavers in the past and the 110 option for overseas visitors, whereas nowadays shavers, i assume like the ops can handle virtually any charge voltage within reason including 110 and 230
Well, that's what I sort-of thought when I first responded, because I mistakenly read him as saying that his shaver (not shaver socket) had both 110V and 230V options (hence my initial response) - but, when I re-read it properly (to be talking about sockets, not shavers), I'm still not sure what he meant - hence my request for clarification.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back