Socket on shower cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps, i tried to do a search for my question as i have seen somebody post this before but i dont remember the outcome.

After taking the face plate off my socket today i realised that the cable feeding it was the 6mm shower cable feeding our en-suite. Is this safe?
To me there could be a danger of somebody overloading the cable in the future. Also what if somebody that didnt know the wiring wanted to work on the upstairs mains and only isolated the ring circuit? Just curious if this is unconventional or if i'm just being paranoid? If so whats the safest way to take out the socket and joint the shower cable back up without replacing the whole cable?

Sorry for the war and peace!

Cheers....Tom

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be like that, would be a code 2 (possibly 4 if I was feeling generous :LOL: ) if I was doing a PIR (as long as the cables were terminated decently)

Quickest way to get rid of it ... 2 yellow insulated crimps, one blue one, a rachet action crimping tool, and a blank plate :)

Thats what i thought. Whats a code 2 and a code 4 if you dont mind me asking?

1 - Immediatly dangerous
2- Requires Improvement
3 - Requires further investigation
4 - Not to BS7671 but not really dangerous

Sponsored Links
This is the response I got from the IEE in this respect:

Appendix 8 of the On-Site Guide advises that water heaters fitted to storage vessels in excess of 15 litres capacity are to be supplied by their own separate circuit.

However, other than the above, BS7671 allows additional equipment to be connected to a radial circuit supplying fixed or stationary equipment, providing the following conditions are met:

That the existing circuit is capable of supplying the total design current, i.e. that of the existing equipment plus that of the proposed equipment.

That the cable used to supply the proposed equipment on the circuit is suited to both that total design current and the rating of the fuse or MCB feeding that circuit.

That if necessary, provision is made for fusing down and any isolators required to comply with regulations are installed.

However, I give my engineers the following guidance:

Engineers are advised to follow the guidance laid down by the NICEIC, namely that a radial circuit intended to supply fixed or stationary equipment should not supply any other load.

What to do if you find such an addition.

If you find equipment attached to a radial circuit supplying fixed or stationary equipment, you should notify it as "AT RISK".
Place an "AT RISK" sticker over each socket, fused spur or such-like, so that the customer has to remove it to use the equipment. Complete the "AT RISK" notice in as much detail as you can.

Does the cable feed the shower as well as the socket, or is it a former shower supply that now just feeds the socket?

Thanks for the info chaps - much appreciated.

Yes the cable still feeds the shower. I dont have a crimp tool, is there anyother way of safely reconnecting this cable (ie connector block or is it worth investing?)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back