Sockets in hallways?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Are there any regs which prevent you from having sockets in a hallway or landing? We are having some work done on existing wiring and 'while we are there' could we add sockets in these locations? There are none as of now and they would be really useful then we could get rid of the extensions we've got at the moment!

Thanks - Sara

Sponsored Links
Hi

Are there any regs which prevent you from having sockets in a hallway or landing? We are having some work done on existing wiring and 'while we are there' could we add sockets in these locations? There are none as of now and they would be really useful then we could get rid of the extensions we've got at the moment!

Thanks - Sara

No regulations prevent you from doing this.
However, how you connect these sockets to your existing circuits will depend on the type of circuit you have.
The electrician doing the work on the existing wiring will be able to advise you on this.

You can have sockets in a hallway/landing. I presume an electrician is doing work on your existing wiring? Speak to him/her about it, but unless you've got a toilet/sink/bath/shower on the landing, there's absolutely nothing stopping you putting sockets there.

Quite the opposite, the domestic installers guide- The OSG (on site guide) and GN3 both make reference to sensible socket design to include sockets in hall ways.

Hoovers are the obvious reason, and night lights for kids.

With care it's very easy to find a spot in a hall that backs on to a socket position in a room (on the other side of the wall) so it doesn't take too much work.

As for law, well it's not- it's just considered good practice, in the same way as having 2 or even 3 double sockets by the TV is sensible.

Sponsored Links
When deciding where place the sockets on the landing you should avoid the area around the top of the stairs where a lead plugged in the socket would be a trip hazard with serious consequences.

When deciding where place the sockets on the landing you should avoid the area around the top of the stairs where a lead plugged in the socket would be a trip hazard with serious consequences.

I think you might find that Part M requires a socket at either the top or bottom of any staircase to facilitate the installation of a stair lift. All part of the "lifetime homes" initiative. Using a vacuum cleaner on the stairs always creates a tip hazard anyway.

I think you might find that Part M requires a socket at either the top or bottom of any staircase to facilitate the installation of a stair lift.

A stair lift should have its own dedicated supply and I seem to recall should not be on the RCD protected supply as it may be needed as part of an emergency evacuation of the building.

My mother had a stair lift that definately had its own MCB

A stair lift should have its own dedicated supply and I seem to recall should not be on the RCD protected supply as it may be needed as part of an emergency evacuation of the building.

My mother had a stair lift that definately had its own MCB

I would agree with that Bernard but the installation instructions I have seen, especially those from Acorn, have plug in transformers which of course require a socket close to the stairs.
They give you a nice lenght of lead as well - just in case you want to enjoy a 'trip' yourself. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back