Soffit vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy folks,

Firstly, some background. The house was built in the mid 80's, and the soffits are just thin wood. There are vents in the soffits, but these are basically just wire mesh placed over rectangular cut outs in the wood. The mesh has basically had it, and birds are starting to get into the loft. Normally I wouldn't be too bothered, but they seem to enjoy taking the loft insulation out and throwing it all over the lawn.

So, I need to replace the soffit mesh. So basically, what is the best way I can do this? I can't access the soffits from inside the loft due to the pitch of the roof, so it has to be done from the outside. I've had a look up there and I'm basically going to have to push something through the slot and then adjust it's position from the outside. So, what are people's recommendations on how to do this and what to use?

Hope that makes sense, and cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
Over-board it with plastic hollow soffit board and 'J' trim, then cut some new holes out and fix suitable soffit vent covers.

Hey presto! New soffit, no more birds, no more painting. :mrgreen:

Do it very soon or else you will get f00ked by the RSPB.

I'd like to avoid overboarding if possible. We're only likely to be in this house another 2yrs or so, so really just want to re-mesh the holes to stop the birds.

Erm, don't you just turn the mesh on end, post it through and then carefully let it fall flat? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Usually yes, but the only mesh I can find is either very flimsy (and likely to bend, alot) or comes in rolls of 100m, I need around 6m.

I'm thinking of just buying some thicker sheet mesh and cutting it to size, at least it should hold it's shape whilst being cut.

This can be closed now, I've found some stiff mesh material that'll do the job. I just have to grow the balls to climb to the top of the ladders now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back