Soft southerners vs hard northerners

Yes, "strategy."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52287920

"The government said talking about an exit before the virus had reached its peak risks confusing the public.

The Labour leader has written to Dominic Raab, who is deputising for Prime Minister Boris Johnson while he continues his recovery from coronavirus, to say Labour would support a continuation of the measures.

But, he said, the government needed to set out an exit strategy to maintain trust and to ensure that arrangements are in place for it."

Sponsored Links
Strategy and plan aren't the same thing.

It is clear that different parts of the government are working to different timelines. The police are working on 6 months, the education 3 months, business 2-3 months.

Before we have a plan (as per your example) we need to understand the strategy. It seems to be to allow infections at a rate that does not swamp the NHS such that deaths substantially increase due to capacity issues. At the same time keep the lockdown as short as possible to minimise the destruction of business and the economy. These are conflicting requirements. At some point the "cure" may be more destructive than the "disease".

what value do we put on a human life in economic terms? 100k, 1m ? something else?

On the one hand people may unnecessarily die on the other people are being asked to destroy their livelihoods and face financial ruin for someone else.

I'm not making a case either way, I think its bl**dy hard to come up with a strategy. But we do need one.

I'm not making a case either way, I think its bl**dy hard to come up with a strategy. But we do need one
We do, as in the nation needs one. But I'm not sure we, as in the public, need to know what it is yet.

Sponsored Links
isnt the stategy clear?

we are attempting to limit the number of cases so as to not over pressure the NHS, whilst at the same time keeping an eye on infection cases and deaths starting to flatten or fall. At this point certain restrictions are to be lifted, likely just being able to go to work to start with.

The problem with this strategy is that they aren't doing any where near enough testing. Whatever the excuses are, they aren't doing enough testing, and they aren't turning the tests around quick enough.

the key to coming through this at the other end is testing, testing, testing.. look at the germans.

In response to plod searching shopping baskets, didn't the gov offer the guidance "if it's in the shop, it can be bought"?
Perhaps the same applies to ordering online etc?
We've been buying birthday pressies for my second - born's upcoming, online.
This is the list of outlets which can remain open, and from which customers can buy any products normally on sale in those outlets.
PART 3

24. Food retailers, including food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores and corner shops.
25. Off licenses and licensed shops selling alcohol (including breweries).
26. Pharmacies (including non-dispensing pharmacies) and chemists.
27. Newsagents.
28. Homeware, building supplies and hardware stores.
29. Petrol stations.
30. Car repair and MOT services.
31. Bicycle shops.
32. Taxi or vehicle hire businesses.
33. Banks, building societies, credit unions, short term loan providers and cash points.
34. Post offices.
35. Funeral directors.
36. Laundrettes and dry cleaners.
37. Dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services, including services relating to mental health.
38. Veterinary surgeons and pet shops.
39. Agricultural supplies shop.
40. Storage and distribution facilities, including delivery drop off or collection points, where the facilities are in the premises of a business included in this Part.
41. Car parks.
42. Public toilets.
The 'reasonable excuse' requirement can include leaving the home to go to any of those outlets; the plod which cautioned a woman for buying a lipstick at Boots was way out of order.

I can't find the source right now, but I think the hse use a figure somewhere around £1.6M
It's £30,000 per year of quality life - that's the government's benchmark when considering costs of drugs and medical interventions.

Needed 4 upvc windows and a door for my little home project. Phoned every local window company I could think of yesterday, all shut down.
Tried a company in Doncaster where I bought a couple of skylights the other week as they were cheaper than I could find anywhere else, 'Aye lad send us t' measurements and well give you a reet good price'.
Sent drawings through last night, email this am with good price, free delivery to Cornwall within two weeks and probably cheaper than I could source locally.
Seems there is a bit more of a 'business as usual' approach in the North of England, mind you, as a precaution, I'll wipe the frames with a damp cloth before unloading them.
Friend of mine drives from Durham to Stansted area and plumbs out new builds.The builder pays for the lot.Must be good financially for both re: employing local plumber

Sponsored Links
Back