Corporate Puzzlement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed a couple of laptops for the kids for Xmas. I'm normally pretty good on not over spending on the kids, but the oldest is at the age where he needs one for school and its not fair to buy one for one and not the other. So I await "black friday" and as I have an aversion to microsoft, purchase 2 Macbook Air's from JohnLewis.

A week Later I notice that Argos (who I'm increasingly finding good on price) are cheaper than JL to the tune of about £50 a pop. So never knowingly undersold it is, I submit my price match claim. Rejected - Argos have no stock for on-line delivery, despite my local branch having 2 in stock. So I point this out, still rejected. So I given that both companies have money back promises and stocks are running low, I purchase 2 from argos. I forward my receipt as evidence to JL. No they are still not having it, so I return the two from JL and save myself £100

You'd really think they'd have not wanted to lose the a sale given they'd already had the cost of sale and shipping and now have the hassle of restocking.

Sponsored Links
When I bought my eldest sprog a MacBook from John Lewis a while back, I had earlier attempted to buy him the same unit from the Apple shop. They were far to busy to serve me (in spite of some later arriving customers getting served before me). So on my way back from John Lewis, I opened the Apple shop door and shouted "Macbooks £100 cheaper up the road in John Lewis".
Joy.

Last edited:
I had the same experience with my iphone7+. I stood in the apple shop with two in my hand trying to make eye contact and waited 20 minutes while "cooler" people got served (who ended up not buying). When I did finally get served the guy was pretty poor. Having said that when the first one bricked, they were very good and replaced it straight away.

I have an aversion to microsoft

Why?

All my PC as MS and I will never change that - just too much s/w I need runs on MS. I own an Android phone and an Ipad. Apple best product is their Ipad, the Iphone and Macs don't appeal to me in terms of functionality and price.

Sponsored Links
I needed a couple of laptops for the kids for Xmas. I'm normally pretty good on not over spending on the kids, but the oldest is at the age where he needs one for school and its not fair to buy one for one and not the other.
Yes it is. The younger is not at the age where he needs one for school.

What are you going to do when he is?

There's only 2 years between them. This is also partly so that mrs motorbiking can get her macbook pro back.
@Kankerot - Every windows computer I've had, has barely lasted 2 years. I've had macs that are still working extremely well after 4. Given that you can buy OEM'd Office licenses for Mac for £10 off ebay (for 3 license) there really isn't anything I need that is MS only. I'd say the Mac premium is about £200 and given their second hand value and the extra life etc..

There's only 2 years between them. This is also partly so that mrs motorbiking can get her macbook pro back.
@Kankerot - Every windows computer I've had, has barely lasted 2 years. I've had macs that are still working extremely well after 4. Given that you can buy OEM'd Office licenses for Mac for £10 off ebay (for 3 license) there really isn't anything I need that is MS only. I'd say the Mac premium is about £200 and given their second hand value and the extra life etc..

I own the Surface, each to his own I guess.

When you mean lasted? Why did they break down and did you pay as much as you would for a Mac? I can appreciate the lower end kack from HP et al being troublesome but the higher end stuff is decent.

Those licences off Ebay legitimate? I've never considered Ebay -I might now!

Your not the one breaking the law if not, but as far as I can tell they work. However, I very much doubt the sellers are complying with the terms of their agreement. But that is between them and MS.

My understanding is that these are recycled where the original purchaser has assignment / resale rights.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back