Software British Gas use on their laptops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, being a boiler engineer i was wondering does any one have an idea what the software British Gas use to fault find and bring up info and diagrams of numerous boilers. I have tried a few differant packages now but nothing compares to what they are using. I'm more intrested if the same software is available to us small fry plumbers under a differant name.
Thanks in advance of any replys.

Sponsored Links
both are their own creation i believe.

expert, the fault finder, is quite good but flawed in some ways, as long as you know what the flaws are its quite useful.

druid, or SIS as its now known, is a gem of a program. again has its flaws but not many.

expert would probably run on windows but SIS probably needs some work to get it to run properly off the BG laptop.

the BG dvd's with all of the information on them sadly dont run on non BG computers. some clever sod could do it but thats not me. :LOL:

Only cost BG tens of millions to set up systems . Of course they will let you have a copy so it will help you be in competition with them. Just send them a postal order for a tenner and they will send you all the software by return post.

Only cost BG tens of millions to set up systems . Of course they will let you have a copy so it will help you be in competition with them. Just send them a postal order for a tenner and they will send you all the software by return post.

They don't accept western union by the way

Sponsored Links
There used to be a healthy black market in the bg discs a few years ago although I think the modern versions require cracking. The laptops run on xp so I imagine it has been done by someone. Mind you most of the bg hard and software is so secure even the engineers struggle to get it working. :rolleyes:

BG have a vested interest ( retaining people ! ) so its worth their time developing very good and very secure.

Firstly this makes the engineers lazy does NOT encourage them to develop independent diagnostic skills if the firmware is very good and easy to use.

If they leave BG they will immediately be at a disadvantage in the real world when they cannot continue to use the program.

Independent engineers have a less easy life and have to develop their own diagnostic skills as they have no backup to call upon!

Tony

BG have a vested interest ( retaining people ! ) so its worth their time developing very good and very secure.

Firstly this makes the engineers lazy does NOT encourage them to develop independent diagnostic skills if the firmware is very good and easy to use.

If they leave BG they will immediately be at a disadvantage in the real world when they cannot continue to use the program.

Independent engineers have a less easy life and have to develop their own diagnostic skills as they have no backup to call upon!

Tony

You vastly overestimate the software Tony, the laptop is basically m.i's and parts ordering.

You vastly overestimate the software Tony, the laptop is basically m.i's and parts ordering.

Not having ever used it I cannot make a personal appraisal but I have had several people saying that its very useful for diagnosing faults.

Can you test it for me?

Vitodens 100 combi! Fan runs but immediately the APS operates the fan turns off, cycles like that continually ??? Even without a call for heat!

Tony

Not having ever used it I cannot make a personal appraisal but I have had several people saying that its very useful for diagnosing faults.

Can you test it for me?

Vitodens 100 combi! Fan runs but immediately the APS operates the fan turns off, cycles like that continually ??? Even without a call for heat!

Tony

what do you expect me to do? type that crap in and get an answer in flashing lights? get a grip tony and stop commenting on things you know nothing of, again. :rolleyes:

expert doesnt work like that. you start at the very start and work through it, you dont jump in halfway through the operation.

there are extensive hints and tips on the laptop for certain boilers but even they have to be used with caution and the majority are things that most of us have heard of anyway. they are useful for boilers you dont see often or forget about certain faults. the majority of experienced engineers would only be using them as a last resort. the new guys use them more id imagine.

what the laptop is good for is storing vast amounts of information on parts and boiler operation sequences etc.

if you are struggling with your vitodens i can check for a hint and tip if you like tony, otherwise i suggest you use your finely honed diagnostic skills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back