Soil Pipe - 3 Way connector - Soil spilling onto side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a drain moved recently and had a new 3 way Wavin Soil pipe put in, anyhow it works fine but has a slight problem...

Basically if you click the image you can see where X marks the spot is where human waste tends to sit, by what I can make out it fires down the soil pipe fast and as the drain is near the house its speed propells it over the lip of the drain landing on the side, this then mounts up and would need cleaning probably once every couple of weeks, it isn't like a major problem but I don't need to be doing this.

I emailed Wavin and they said this can be a problem when fitting one near a house, even though surely this happens a lot?

Does anyone know a way round this without changing drain or moving, I thought perhaps somekind of disc insert over the top (obviously it has a cover on it as well) would stop spill gathering on the top but wouldn't stop soil going down the pipe.

Click Image for full size

Sponsored Links
Can't you run the left hand drain pipe into the in-line connection at the back? It looks as if it's still accessible to make such an alteration.

yes i think that may work, otherwise changing for a 2 way perhaps as 3 way not needed.

I just think the design is bad that allows this to happen, and Wavin know about it.

I suspect the left hand branch has too much fall on it, therefore too much flow velocity. Can you say that it is laid to normal fall (1 in 40 I think)? Or is it just too close to base of soil stack?

Sponsored Links
yes the whole chamber is on a bit of an angle as soil pipe in ground runs down at big angle, so slightly off.

But the soil pipe is only about .5 Meter away, so suspect this main reason, even so the design lacks as if the ridge inside was higher it wouldn't jump up.

Because the concrete will not bond with smooth uPVC, and there is a risk of it coming loose and blocking drain.

"There is nothing new under the sun " Ecclesiastes..old Testament. Well I never thought I`d see a flying Richard111 again...Had just the same problem with a load of Wavin/osma chambers in the 80`s...shamed them into retro fitting a sort of plastic shield,whereby the flying faeces hit said shield and slithered down into the channel..my Gov,ner ..a dour Scot, said to the rep.." de ye expect us tae keep that polished, laddie, fer it tae work?" :LOL:

No :( As far as I know the shields are still in place and directing the solids down into the channel...a la Heath Robinson....would`ve thought they d`ve sorted it by now :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back