Soil pipe alignment tolerance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is there a specified alignment tolerance for soil pipe. I've looked at various manufacturers sites but can't find anything. My problem is that I need a true 90deg bend for a horizontal run. Using a 87.5 deg bend gives me 1:23 so 2m run would be 87mm drift. I presume there must be a misalignment allowance in a fitting so I could lose some of the 2.5 deg in that but I can't find a figure for it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've found there is a bit of wiggle room on push fit fittings, but not realy on solvent fit.

As already mentioned you dont want a truley horizontal run, you need to meet minimum required fall to stop blockages.

Hi,

Is there a specified alignment tolerance for soil pipe. I've looked at various manufacturers sites but can't find anything. My problem is that I need a true 90deg bend for a horizontal run. Using a 87.5 deg bend gives me 1:23 so 2m run would be 87mm drift. I presume there must be a misalignment allowance in a fitting so I could lose some of the 2.5 deg in that but I can't find a figure for it.

Thanks.
Show your calculation to explain?

Sponsored Links
Yes I meant horizontal with a fall. I'm aiming for 1:40 or 1.5deg.

Well I've got outside vertical stack, with a socket at 87.5 deg in the vertical. So from drain pipe comes up vertical, following wall. Then it turns 90deg and runs parallel to wall in plan view with a 2.5deg up slope (i.e. fall as this is going from drain). So far so good. The socket in the stack can rotate so horizontal pipe is parallel to wall. Now I want to turn 90deg and go through wall but the bend is 87.5 deg so I'm not going through wall at 90 deg. Inside I have about 1m run then I want to turn 90deg and have a 2m run to the WC (viewed looking down, will a fall of course).

2.5deg is 1:23 (1:40 is ~1.5deg). So 2m run is 87mm off square, i.e. 87mm away from wall at one end and touching at the other.

I'd think you would get away with that angle with pushfit stuff, particularily if the bend was pushfit at each end.

Length is about 4m to WC. Sink/bath/shower feed into soil too so only the first 1.5m is just WC hence the elbow shouldn't be a problem as lots of plain water flowing to wash stuff down, not just WC flushes.

Length is about 4m to WC. Sink/bath/shower feed into soil too so only the first 1.5m is just WC hence the elbow shouldn't be a problem as lots of plain water flowing to wash stuff down, not just WC flushes.
Can`t remember the max run allowed, 4m/8m? sure somebody will know.
Plenty of water maybe but little oomph.

So long as the overal length is no longer than previously stated it would probably work ok. Building control don't like many bends though.

I have a run about 4m with a couple of swept 90 bends (not quite 90 :LOL:) and a 45 to get a pipe running between joists, then dropping below them and running accross them to outside stack with no issue.

Edit: probably be good to put access point bend through wall so you can rod any blockages.

Last edited:
Building regs say nothing about bends, just length and fall. According to this the discharge rate for a full pipe, 10cm inside diameter, 25mm/m, is 13l/s. Full flush is 6l and takes about 3s I reckon. Peak flow say 3l/s so pipe is only quarter full at most. The important thing I reckon is to keep the fall not too much on a long run so as not to leave the solids behind. Bath/shower/sink water joins before the 1st horizontal bend so H bends are all well washed (there is a vertical bend at WC).

I did think about access bends but instead I went for splitting horizontal external pipe near bend and using a double coupler as a sliding coupler. That gave me more options and allows disassembly of stack, if it is even needed. Other option is to use a drain clearing tool (springy wire thing you turn, don't know what the proper name is). Those go round bends (and do 32mm and 40mm pipe). I could use that from outside or take the WC bowl out and go from inside.

I've tried some fittings and agree with reds42. Solvent weld have very little play but ring-seal have more. My MkI eyeball reckons that 1 ring seal joint can maybe allow a 87.5 deg bend to stretch to 90deg, certainly I reckon 2 seal (each end of the bend) would allow this.

There are 90 degree knuckle bends, but probably not the best to use mid run when you need to keep things flowing smoothly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back