soil pipe connection for new upstairs toilet

I'm not sure myself what goes where, i know when we pulled the flush, and lifted the covers when the guy first come here,no water flowed from the toilet into any of them, but we didn't check the bath water, to see if that did, we do know from the sink, when we run the water, we can see the water in the manhole, not sure if any of this helps? or it all runs into the same place, can i ask again please Hugh what inspection chamber i would actually use, the link you put up doesn't show them, they guy did leave some parts here, not sure what they're for exactly, this part plus orange pipe, and some connector type things.

Attachments

• 95262531_2587850244828760_5555531302498729984_o.jpg
    95262531_2587850244828760_5555531302498729984_o.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 218
Sponsored Links
Chris has linked to what you need in terms of a chamber, (you will also need risers and a cover to get it flush with the ground level). A dye test is also a good idea to confirm where things run, if you flush/run taps and nothing comes out in the manhole, then you will have to fit a chamber somewhere near the foot of the new stack to allow future access should the need arise.

Chris has linked to what you need in terms of a chamber, (you will also need risers and a cover to get it flush with the ground level). A dye test is also a good idea to confirm where things run, if you flush/run taps and nothing comes out in the manhole, then you will have to fit a chamber somewhere near the foot of the new stack to allow future access should the need arise.

Thanks Hugh, the chamber Chris posted, i don't understand how it connects up to the pipe work? as i have a straight through pipe from end to end, the holes on that shallow chamber are in different places, so i'm not understanding how i connect the pipework up for it to run how it should? also i have just been to my neighbours, and they have gone into the gully like you said you maybe able to, here are the pictures, they have dug it up, so not sure what they used for connection? cheers

Attachments

• 66198.jpg
    66198.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 6 (1).jpg
    6 (1).jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 6 (2).jpg
    6 (2).jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
Where the gulley is installed, you’d need to dig around that, remove the trap and then it'll probably be a straight run of pipe similar to what is exposed. So when you remove the gulley (probably sand/cement joint) so angle grinder would be required, use a connector similar to this https://www.toolstation.com/flexibl...MI9YDzuK2I6QIVUOJ3Ch2pUQUxEAQYASABEgKsBPD_BwE, then come off in pvc, to the rest bend then utilise the rest bend socket and come off in black pvc to the stack.

Where the gulley is installed, you’d need to dig around that, remove the trap and then it'll probably be a straight run of pipe similar to what is exposed. So when you remove the gulley (probably sand/cement joint) so angle grinder would be required, use a connector similar to this, then come off in pvc, to the rest bend then utilise the rest bend socket and come off in black pvc to the stack.

I think that sort of makes sense to me Chris, would you have any idea how far this is down? and can i leave the drain there as my neighbours have, for water run off??.. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The chamber Chris has posted shows the 3 inlets, there will be a channel straight through it and the outlet is out of picture. It'll simply replace the staright run of pipe you have now.
300 Base .jpg

Use the inlet at 6 o'clock for the stack connection, then if you still want a gulley, fit one adjacent and connect it to one of the 45° inlets.

The chamber Chris has posted shows the 3 inlets, there will be a channel straight through it and the outlet is out of picture. It'll simply replace the straight run of pipe you have now.
View attachment 190331

Use the inlet at 6 o'clock for the stack connection, then if you still want a gulley, fit one adjacent and connect it to one of the 45° inlets.[/QUOTE

Thanks Hough, it looks a lot different at that angle, i can see it now, is for the gully clay pipe connection now, not the hole that was dug? thanks

Do you mean like this ? thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_185626.jpg
    IMG_20200416_185626.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 219
By George I think you’ve been got it :D. I don’t know if the push fit connectors will accept the clay though. Also the 3 inlets would be the opposite end and you could connect from there.

By George I think you’ve been got it :D. I don’t know if the push fit connectors will accept the clay though. Also the 3 inlets would be the opposite end and you could connect from there.

Hhahah, i can't believe how stupid i am sometimes Chris, i amaze myself at times, and yes i don't think they will, so it means adding pipe plus couplers? unless they do them socket less? then just couplers, another thing is as well, i can't put the inlets at the opposite ends, as where they are facing in that picture, that's where the stack pipe is?..

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_185626.jpg
    IMG_20200416_185626.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 201
Yes, provided the pipe from the gulley goes to the foul sewer, then you could use it for the stack. If it goes straight to the manhole, then brilliant, however, if it connects to the sewer 'blind' then you wont be able to use it without additional work. (The main things to remember about drains are, they must run in straight lines, and have a chamber at every change of direction, water flows downhill, and all sections must be accessible for rodding in the event of a blockage.)

I couldn't tell you where it goes from the information we've got, but if the run from the existing gulley goes straight to the manhole, then you can rod upstream from that manhole in the event it ever blocks. If you cant get access to the bottom end of the run, then you'll need to look at putting access in elsewhere. This could be as simple as fitting an access point at the foot of the stack before it goes under the ground, or a mini chamber as per my earlier link, in the line from the stack.

Hi Hugh, 1 have checked this out, when i leave the bath water running from the upstairs into this gully, none of the water we can see runs into either manhole, so it is blind as you say, a neighbour has gone into their gully, can i ask what we would have to do, to do this? thanks

If you're 100% sure that's a foul drain, (it should be taking bathwater, but never assume), then you can remove the gulley and connect your stack. You will have to dig out to remove the gulley, so personally I'd dig back a bit more, and allow room to get a mini chamber in. You will need to cut back the clay at a suitable point, using a disc cutter or large angle grinder (with a stone disc), then chamfer the cut edges slightly. I would confirm with Building Control they are happy for you to do this, but as Neighbour has already done so, shouldn't be an issue.

Fit a Flexseal or other suitable connector to take you from clayware to plastic. Short piece of plastic into that, then chamber, then another piece of pipe, rest bend and then upwards. If you wish to retain a gulley, buy a new plastic gulley, and connect that into one of the side connections on the chamber. Support the chamber base on some concrete, (fairly stiff mix, not too much water), then haunch some concrete around the base to hold it is position., I'd do same with the rest bend, (making sure there is a slight fall on your pipework in the right direction!)

Once concrete has set, and your pipework is in, bed and cover any exposed pipework with peagravel to protect it, bring your chamber up to finished floor height and fit cover, backfill and make good surface. Connect your stack up as discussed and job should be a good un.

If you're 100% sure that's a foul drain, (it should be taking bathwater, but never assume), then you can remove the gulley and connect your stack. You will have to dig out to remove the gulley, so personally I'd dig back a bit more, and allow room to get a mini chamber in. You will need to cut back the clay at a suitable point, using a disc cutter or large angle grinder (with a stone disc), then chamfer the cut edges slightly. I would confirm with Building Control they are happy for you to do this, but as Neighbour has already done so, shouldn't be an issue.

Fit a Flexseal or other suitable connector to take you from clay ware to plastic. Short piece of plastic into that, then chamber, then another piece of pipe, rest bend and then upwards. If you wish to retain a gulley, buy a new plastic gulley, and connect that into one of the side connections on the chamber. Support the chamber base on some concrete, (fairly stiff mix, not too much water), then haunch some concrete around the base to hold it is position., I'd do same with the rest bend, (making sure there is a slight fall on your pipework in the right direction!)

Once concrete has set, and your pipework is in, bed and cover any exposed pipework with pea-gravel to protect it, bring your chamber up to finished floor height and fit cover, back fill and make good surface. Connect your stack up as discussed and job should be a good un.[/QUOTE

Hi Hugh, thanks for the advice, and yes, it's where the bathwater is going, i'm going to redirect the bathwater it into the side of stack using a 40 mm boss fitting, that will leave the drain spare, where the hopper is at the top, and where it is going at the moment, i am only thinking as you said you maybe able to use this option instead, and did read somewhere, it's better to have them on two separate pipes, maybe this will save blockages, which is my main worry, about this whole thing, I've just order long radius rest bend and two rubber cuplers the sizes that Chris mentioned, and yes, i went to check out the neighbours, they have there's put in that way, and it's been well over 10 years no issues, I've added a picture for you to look at how they have did it, would you know how far the pipe is down? thanks

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 6 (1).jpg
    6 (1).jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 194

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back