soil pipe connection for new upstairs toilet

Put the wastes into the stack, it's a far superior option. Hoppers are now banned as new installations as they are horrible, unsanitary things. With the hopper gone, if you don't need the gulley for yard drainage, get rid of it, and just connect stack in it's place.
Hi Hugh, yes i am, i bought the pipe to put the Bath waste straight into the stack, it will look much as well with it gone, and don't know how hard it will be to add another Gulley, but as there is already one there, i'd probably want to put another one in it's place, just to be on the safe side, and saying that, is there a type of one i should get? thanks Hugh..

Sponsored Links
That's fine, my preference is a Bottle gully, easier to clean out if it ever blocks. Can either use bends to get the outlet down to the required height to connect to the sewer, or set the pot lower and use a riser to bring the top to required height. If you're fitting the chamber as suggested previosuly, then the gulley can simply connect into one of the unused 45 slipper branches.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
That's fine, my preference is a Bottle gully, easier to clean out if it ever blocks. Can either use bends to get the outlet down to the required height to connect to the sewer, or set the pot lower and use a riser to bring the top to required height. If you're fitting the chamber as suggested previously, then the gulley can simply connect into one of the unused 45 slipper branches.

Hi Hugh, is this one ok? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-s...728999?hash=item2d0a0689e7:g:wC8AAOSwLjNeqB1G ?? this Gulley looks like you can add 1110mm pipe into it, can i use pipe as the riser? when i'm stood opposite the hopper, that currently still there, the pipe at the bottom of the Gulley is opposite me, i have some 45 degree underground fittings, and a long radius bend coming, and have some underground pipe, and a Y Branch if that's not enough, i always got local Screwfix, Toolstation, i want to have all the parts to do it the same day. really appreciate the help Hugh.

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 199
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi Hugh, is this one ok? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-s...728999?hash=item2d0a0689e7:g:wC8AAOSwLjNeqB1G ?? this Gulley looks like you can add 1110mm pipe into it, can i use pipe as the riser? when i'm stood opposite the hopper, that currently still there, the pipe at the bottom of the Gulley is opposite me, i have some 45 degree underground fittings, and a long radius bend coming, and have some underground pipe, and a Y Branch if that's not enough, i always got local Screwfix, Toolstation, i want to have all the parts to do it the same day. really appreciate the help Hugh.

Hay Hugh, i don't think that Gulley i put here will be any good, as it has two sockets, my Rest bend has two sockets, my 45s have one socket haha is this a better option, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110mm-Un...-Bulk-Discounts/392313896256?var=661303458083, thank Hugh..

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Either gulley will do, just make sure you connect the right end to the drain. Both have 'back inlet' connections, which basically allows you to connect a discharge pipe to the gulley without going through the grid, (useful for rainwater pipes for example so leave can collect in the gulley and not block the grid). The other connection is downstream of the trap, this end must go to the drain or you'll have an almighty stink coming back out to ensure everyone is social distancing at your next BBQ.

The 'bottle' is a different size, so pipe wont be any use as a riser. Either set gulley at correct height for finished floor level and 'dog leg' the outlet pipework down to meet the drain, or the risers can usually be purchased from the appropriate supplier, look for a stockist of that brand of plastic drainage.

Either gulley will do, just make sure you connect the right end to the drain. Both have 'back inlet' connections, which basically allows you to connect a discharge pipe to the gulley without going through the grid, (useful for rainwater pipes for example so leave can collect in the gulley and not block the grid). The other connection is downstream of the trap, this end must go to the drain or you'll have an almighty stink coming back out to ensure everyone is social distancing at your next BBQ.

The 'bottle' is a different size, so pipe wont be any use as a riser. Either set gulley at correct height for finished floor level and 'dog leg' the outlet pipework down to meet the drain, or the risers can usually be purchased from the appropriate supplier, look for a stockist of that brand of plastic drainage.

Hi Hugh, ok, i'll order one of them now, what i intend to do is expose what's there first, see the setup, and post on here for you to take a look if you don't mind, i saw that these bottle gulleys are only small, like 7.5 inches, my old gulley is 19.5 from top to bottom, so i will need a riser, just saw one one toolstation, 400mm, which is very cheap, compared with ebay anyway, that should take the total size to 23 inches, so i can cut it down to what i need, and didn't know that these things have to be connected the right way around, will there be marking on it? to say what is what? or how can i tell? i'm going to get all of it ready, dig it up, and them come back on here...really appreciate your help Hugh.

Hi Hugh, thanks, really appreciate it, i can't do anything till Wednesday anyway, as that's when the Gulley should be here, i have had my rubber coupling adaptors through, today, and my rest bend and air vent for the top of the pipe yesterday, i know, Royal Mail delivering on a Sunday, fair play to them, i was going to ask, can i use post mix for the concrete base? thanks

Hay, i have all the stuff ready for the job i hope, i have a question, in the Gulley, there is a black insert sleeve, it makes the gulley narrow at the top, do i have to leave that inside? or can i take it out?? as i don't want to take the chance of it blocking, i'm going to put the riser on top of this gulley, and then buy a square gulley hopper, it came with a round insert type one. thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_203724.jpg
    IMG_20200506_203724.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20200506_203711.jpg
    IMG_20200506_203711.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 217

Hi Hugh, when you say" Either gulley will do, just make sure you connect the right end to the drain. Both have 'back inlet' connections" am i not connecting to the same connection that is already there? like for like? thanks

Hi Hugh, when you say" Either gulley will do, just make sure you connect the right end to the drain. Both have 'back inlet' connections" am i not connecting to the same connection that is already there? like for like? thanks

Just thinking Hugh, maybe i'd have to add a trap? cheers

Sorry Tony, wrote the first half of a reply last night and for didn't manage to send it. (Daughter needed my attention!)

Sleeve needs to stay in, that forms the trap. When the gulley is filled with water, the bottom of the sleeve will be below the waterline, sealing the outlet and drains off. Personally would bring the gulley up to required height by extending the outlet pipework, whilst they have their uses, make the gulley a lot harder to clean out!

You've got the Floplast Gulley there I think, provided the connecting waste is trapped at the top end, you'll be ok to connect to the back inlet, any rainwater pipe will need to go in the top or have an additional trap, (which rather defeats the object...) They're not the best design IMO, the Osma Bottle Gulley has an integral trap, that allows back/side connections to the pot without compromising the trap.

Sorry Tony, wrote the first half of a reply last night and for didn't manage to send it. (Daughter needed my attention!)

Sleeve needs to stay in, that forms the trap. When the gulley is filled with water, the bottom of the sleeve will be below the waterline, sealing the outlet and drains off. Personally would bring the gulley up to required height by extending the outlet pipework, whilst they have their uses, make the gulley a lot harder to clean out!

You've got the Floplast Gulley there I think, provided the connecting waste is trapped at the top end, you'll be ok to connect to the back inlet, any rainwater pipe will need to go in the top or have an additional trap, (which rather defeats the object...) They're not the best design IMO, the Osma Bottle Gulley has an integral trap, that allows back/side connections to the pot without compromising the trap.

Hi Hugh, thank you for getting back to me, i really wish i knew this stuff, i have done few things in my life, loads of DIY, cars, had a mobile phone shop too, but never done this type of work, it's doing my head in to be honest, it seems quite complicated for what it is, but have top get it right, the gulley i got is Floplast. you're correct, it looks narrow with that insert, i hope it doesn't block, or should i buy the Osam one? do they narrow? and have this insert ? and i don't know what you mean by bringing it up to by extending the pipe work? i started to smash the old concrete up today, but stopped, and the big hole that's been dug, is adjacent, not sure i should have a gaping whole on the side of the house, so i intend to fill the big hole in first, but trying to get hold of pea gravel is not an easy thing, Monday is the soonest, best thing i can do, is fill the hole, expose what i got there, and go from there, really appreciate your advice and taking the time to reply, cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back