soil pipe connection for new upstairs toilet

Osma gulley is a different design, but that type you have is absolutely fine, (I have 2 here I installed myself and never been an issue).

My suggestion was to sit the gulley with the grid at finished floor level, then extend the outlet pipework as required to meet the outgoing drain. So immediately into the outlet spigot from the gulley, fit a bend, angle to suit), then run from there with length of pipe, to meet either another bend, or rotate the junction to point the socket in the required direction to accept the incoming pipe from the gulley.

Its a hell of a lot easier to clean the gulley out/unblock it, if the pot is near the surface, rather than being 2-3ft down, and the height made up with risers.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Osma gulley is a different design, but that type you have is absolutely fine, (I have 2 here I installed myself and never been an issue).

My suggestion was to sit the gulley with the grid at finished floor level, then extend the outlet pipework as required to meet the outgoing drain. So immediately into the outlet spigot from the gulley, fit a bend, angle to suit), then run from there with length of pipe, to meet either another bend, or rotate the junction to point the socket in the required direction to accept the incoming pipe from the gulley.

Its a hell of a lot easier to clean the gulley out/unblock it, if the pot is near the surface, rather than being 2-3ft down, and the height made up with risers.

Hi Hugh, thanks for explaining , i think i know what you mean, if you have used the same type and their fine, then i'm happy to use the one i got, i see what you mean when you say, put the gulley near the sufrace, don't use a riser, make up the space with cement? Wicks are open tomorrow so going to get some 10 mm pea gravel, fill that hole, and can dig it up, i'll put some pictures up, try mock it up for you to give me nod to say it's ok, thanks, and appreciate all the help, no worries if you can get back to me right away, i can leave it connected until you say what i'm doing is right and ok. thanks Hugh

Gulley can sit on some bricks or something if you need to raise it up Tony, will endeavour to look in tomorrow when I get a chance. Got my daughter so will be run ragged with her I suspect, (joys of having an unexpected arrival later in life.... :rolleyes:)

Wickes here are click and collect, I ordered yesterday for collection this morning, depends how busy they are I think. B&Q was a 45 min queue around the car park, gave them a wide berth!

Gulley can sit on some bricks or something if you need to raise it up Tony, will endeavour to look in tomorrow when I get a chance. Got my daughter so will be run ragged with her I suspect, (joys of having an unexpected arrival later in life.... :rolleyes:)

Wickes here are click and collect, I ordered yesterday for collection this morning, depends how busy they are I think. B&Q was a 45 min queue around the car park, gave them a wide berth!

Ok Hugh, no worries if you're too busy, honestly, you have time with your Daughter, i can wait, i'm only going to mock it up, until you say that's ok, then install it, all mine grown up now, best thing i ever did was have kids, you might might laugh at this, i saw in the local Bristol post, Wicks opening times for the weekend, 7am to 4pm, so thought it was walk in, social distancing, i thought right set the alarm, let's get down there, got up early and went down thsimorming, it no difference to any other day, i was expecting a Que, nobody there, he said it's click and collect only, so got back home and it's the same as when i first tried to order, the Bristol stores will only sell you essentials, no click and collecting Pea gravel, haha but if you try another store, they will let you click and collect, just not Bristol, and a few others, and i went to B and Q the other day to buy some Pea gravel, 6 weeks wait, went to the B and M all sold out, went to the Range, they have stuff, but no Pea gravel, i was speaking to somebody on facebook and got all wanted thismorning from Warmly in Bristol, he knew my brother as well, played darts with him, so picked up, 6 25kg bags of 10mm Pea gravel, 3 bags of sand, and a bag of cement for £35..i can now get on with it, i'm just going to check how to bed this pipe in online, and then fill that hole and start digging. thanks Hugh.

Sponsored Links
I survived, she's in one piece so left her with her Mum to put to bed.

Same issue with plaster, desperate for a bag of bonding coat to repair my living room walls. Thought I'd get on with it during Lockdown, only no-one has any plaster... (It's more scarce than flour it seems!)

Any drainage done? Need some sanity after the Tellytubbies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back