Soil pipe feasibility question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put 2 ensuites (next to each other) in on the first floor of my end terrace.

To join the existing foul drain the new pipes would have to go completely around the side of the house, (10m) around the corner and across the back of the terrace (another 4m) to join the existing stack at the back.

Am I right in thinking that I can its approx 25mm per metre minimum drop, ie I will have to ensure it drops around 1 foot before it gets to the bend around the outside of the house, and another 4 or 5 inches before it joins the exiting soil stack. Is it acceptable to merge 3 soil pipes, or do I have to take the new one to the ground and break into the mains sewer next to the existing pipe?

Also waste water from shower and basin, presumably that can join the new soil pipes, although obviously, not at the same diameter.

As I'm adding 2 new ensuites and associated bathroom electrics building control will have to come and have a look though.

Thanks in advance. for any positive input...

Sponsored Links
I would not recommend doing it that way. Your building control officer may have something to say about it, as it must comply with Approved Document Part H - So in the end just put your proposal to them and see if they approve it!

In addition to it being extremely unsightly, you are proposing to leave a substantial amount of horizontal drainage exposed to the elements. At winter time, freezing conditions are a real risk of blockage due to a build up of ice in the pipes.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_H_2010.pdf
See page 9

6m maximum for a single WC horizontal branch (unvented). I believe you would also need to vent a run longer than that or if more than one WC connected on a longer branch in excess of 15m.
Remember the length of pipe is from the WC(s) not just the pipe outside.

Several expansion joints would be required plus rodding access(s).Additionally due to the other waste connections I think a vent to the end of the run would be a good idea.

Edited a couple of times after reading document H - which is always a good idea when pushing the limits!

ok, thats what i'm looking for.... will digest and revise accordingly.

the main issue is that the end terrace has a public pavement alongside.

theres a gutter drainpipe straight down where i want to add the ensuite so maybe the sewer is close by. If it were what's the (admin) process for adding an additional soil pipe to the sewer?? Can my contractors do the work?

The main issue is that the end terrace has a public pavement alongside.

Nice move on the goalposts.

Go have a word with your planning department as well. Is the pavement is alongside a public road too? While an opening window can overhang the pavement (subject to certain restrictions) I would question if a new soil pipe would be permitted overhanging your property boundary in full view.

If the pavement is not owned by you, you can't dig it up! - If you somehow got permission to get a connection, the chances are it would have to be by one of the listed contractors doing public works.

I suggest you take a stroll down to the local authority offices and find out what they are likely to let you do. See both Planning & Building Control departments

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for the input.

its looking like i need some alternate method for the soil pipe, unless i'm stunningly lucky and the sewer is right next to the property.

Will have to look at some different solution. Anything but a macerator....

I guess I could live without the ensuites. TBH its a HMO rental property and rooms are better with ensuites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back