Soil pipe route issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I have engineered this problem myself with lack of planning….. but when you don’t know what you’re doing, it’s hard to plan for what you don’t know is coming until you get there.

So, my toilet in the loft conversion is going where I’m standing taking the photo. The 110mm stink pipe goes next to the steel and under the valley beam (top of photo). This is because the soil stack is virtually there externally. The issue is the short double joist that supports the end of 4 long floor joists. I need to go through this in the lower half which will clearly make the 9x2 pretty much a 5x2. Not good. I’ve looked long and hard at this issue and really can’t route the pipe elsewhere without cutting massively into many more joists.

How can I do this? How can I brace this? Feel I’m in a bit of a pickle!

876A4AB4-3BA1-4659-80DC-EDADCBE830A8.jpegB7B94686-2ED9-46EF-A59E-A0F8D5C02E97.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Can you drop the soil pipe below floor level and box in?

Alternatively you could replace the trimmer with a 254x102 UB and get it designed for a 130mm diameter opening. You would need to give it a decent bearing and probably need to provide some stiffeners either side of the opening.

Dropping below ceiling height is interesting. Below is the bathroom and I already have to overboard the ceiling anyway. But there is a pesky ceiling tie right in the way as you can see. That ceiling tie is right up against the wall where I’d want to pop through.

The UB is also a good suggestion. More work and deconstructing of my efforts so far, but a solution I didn’t have none the less.

If there is a stud wall to go on top of the double beam, you can bolt that to that brickwork and hang the double joist off that, so bridging the pipe

Sponsored Links
Like that idea. Yes a stud wall meeting the low purlin directly above.

Easy, minimal faff and cheap. Right up my street. I could even do 2 bits of 4x2 on their sides at a sole place for the stud wall to boost it up further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back