Soil pipe through joists - HELP!!!

I thought it was 'fooking.'

The notch doesn't seem to have closed up on the pipe so I have to wonder what is going on.

But maybe the pipe is resisting being crushed horizontally.
This can be checked by measuring the pipe circumference with a strip of paper and then measuring the horizontal diameter. If it's less than C/PI then the vertical diameter is larger and this may be occurring.

Maybe there is a column directly under the notch?

This expression
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_Mickey
didn't make it over the pond. I guess the equivalent here is "What are you smoking?"

Sponsored Links
there must be a supporting wall under that floor.... otherwise you would have seen the ceiling bow and if there was a bath there... well it would have fallen thru to be sure

What I don't get is how they had those notches stay open long enough to lay the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Iff you consider a foor screwed directly over the top of the joists however, the floor will be in compression across the gap to compensate for some of the load. Depending on what the floor is and how it is fixed down it could be remarkably strong in compression, that could well be how this has lasted so long..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back