Soil Stack / Vent Pipe question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going to be taking on a Self Build Single Storey extension in the next few months where i plan to remove a bay window and bring the downstairs out by 1500.

I have been pondering over the soil stack and trying to figure out the best way of getting this watertight in my new lean too roof, i am not a big fan of the flexible roof vent covers and im not sure ill get one in with the pipe so close to the house wall.

Can anyone help me on this?

Can i;
A) Remove the vent pipe - vent it into the garage roof space? or even rid of it completly.
B) Can anyone help me out with ideas on how i can ensure i create a watertight seal.

This is the front of my house:
front.jpg

and as you can see from my amazing art skills, the soil stack will be in the roof space of the extended garage.

i am going for the same style as next door:

2.jpg

and a noticed here:

3.png

soil vent gone!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you fit a dergo valve on the inside of the bathroom about 300mm above the highest outlet (basin?)?

Someone skilled with lead should be able to do something, possibly make a slate and incorporate it into the flashing. I'd be cautious about doing away with the vent, it is there for a reason. People remove vents, and fit an AAV then wonder why problems occur....

Sponsored Links
AAV's must be fitted where they can be accessible for maintenance ie. lifting up and out. Headroom is required above the AAV.
They should also be fitted above the flood rims of any fixtures that they serve.
Strictly speaking, its doubtful that there is enough height available in the proposed lean-to roof - but on site many Regs are skimmed.

I dont see a manhole in the pics? And the S&V pipe appears to have been moved to its present front elevation location when the 2-story extension was made.

The neighbour's house is set back - check if planning will allow your more forward front elevation, it will project beyond the neighbours extn.

Hi Ree, thanks for your time.

There are two manholes on my drive, one right infront of my garage door, just in front of the pallet and one on the left hand under the plant pot.

Ill just leave it be and attempt a lead seal.

I have been onto the planning portal and shouldn't need planning, would you advise I look into this more?

Check on the planning and Regs forum for up to date accuracy ref set-backs. But be certain: no guesswork.

If you go for a lead slate then pulling the S&V vent pipe away from the wall will give you more room (at least a full tile) - dont end up squashing lead into a narrow gap behind the vent in its present position.

You or your plumber would work easier if the vent is lifted from the Tee - it will help locating the lead slate position and cutting a chase for roof cover flashing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back