Solar porch lighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a roof covered, open sided porch with a corner post supporting the roof at present.

I am going to close the sides in with brick and double glazed double door and windows in a couple of months time.

We have alot of exposure to sunlight at this side of the house (infact with the double glazing it will be like the tropics in the porch ;) )

I am wondering if anyone knows of a solar powered lighting system which would power ceiling mounted down lighters for the inside of the porch only.

The fancier the lights the better, :oops:

Thanks in advance, aqua.

Sponsored Links
Dont you have mains 'lectric? :LOL:

Seriously, solar power is not worth the hassle. It'll be cheaper to have an electrician wire some lights to the mains for you. And go for low energy lights.

Crafty said:
Dont you have mains 'lectric? :LOL:

Seriously, solar power is not worth the hassle. It'll be cheaper to have an electrician wire some lights to the mains for you. And go for low energy lights.

I thought the cost of such an idea might well make it a no hoper, just thought there might be something out there for this type of job.

Taking a feed from the ringmain to light the porch will obviously give me plenty of power to get a bit special with the lighting, i'm open to ideas for the downlighters.

I was also thinking of an automatic on/off switch for the porch, maybe a motion detector or even some sort of switch similar to that on a car door :confused:

What do you guys think ;)

Aqua said:
or even some sort of switch similar to that on a car door :confused:

yeah, fridges have them too.

as has been said solar will cost too much.

have a stndalone pir and your choice of lights

Sponsored Links
The PIR will be the way to go then for auto lighting.

Pity the solar panel idea is a non starter though.

The enviromentalists have pinned their hopes on wind and solar as far as i know and from what i have heard neither are going to be a viable, cost effective alternative to good old power stations ;)

Still open to ideas regarding fancy down lighters :cool:

Aqua said:
The enviromentalists have pinned their hopes on wind and solar as far as i know and from what i have heard neither are going to be a viable, cost effective alternative to good old power stations ;)
and unfortunately a major accident in the soviet union combined with a couple of near misses in the west (all a long time ago now) has made people scared to use the main alternative to fossil fuel based power.

Compact, energy saving downlight:

GUFRD9W.JPG

£16.60 from TLC

9 watts each, you'll only need one or 2 to light a porch more than adequately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back