Soldered or compression please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing a radiator permanent from my kitchen, it has the drain valve as it is the lowest and end of system rad.....what is best to cap of the pipes please...a compression drain valve and stop end or soldered.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
soldered if there is no water about ;)

it wouldn't be a bad idea to renew the drain tap while your at it :idea:

Thanks, what do you mean the drain tap Kev?

and if I go with compression are the JG Speedfit Drain Cocks OK, it says they just push on to the copper pipe with no tools needed....how does that work?

Sponsored Links
if you mean it has the drain cock because it is the lowest point in the system, it's a good idea to keep it. If there will (normally) be no flow in this pipe, because you have removed the rad, you might consider putting a full-bore cock on the end, with a 3/4" hose connector. This makes it very quick and easy to drain the system when necessary, and the fast flow will help wash out loose serdiment.

I fiited a washing-machine tee on mine. Some people say the heat will age the seal, but this would not apply in your case. Fit a 3/4" blanking nut on it so that it will not leak if someone accidentally turns it on.

btw it is very difficult to solder pipe that is not perfectly dry.

An point worth noting.

If you use pushfit fittings the draincock Kev has shown will not fit, as the tail will e too short.

You need a compression fitting.

You could always get a speedfit or Hep drain cock with a longer shaft ;)

You could always get a speedfit or Hep drain cock with a longer shaft ;)

You certainly could.

On the other hand a compression fitting is better.

And congratulations on the 15000 posts :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back