Soldering in hard to reach places

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such a thing that you can clip on a hard to reach joint, then heat it and the heat will conduct into to the joint for soldering (or removal) ?

I want to unsolder the elbows of these two pipes. The pipes come from the wall cavity about 1" away which has insulation from the 1980s in it - probably highly flamable. (Ignore the cable, it is being removed.)
IMG_20180823_164038.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can get electric soldering devices, but the good ones are very expensive, almost certainly more than the cost of opening up the joints and reinstating.
In my opinion, there isn't really any alternative to opening up the wall sufficiently to access the joints, and removing the woodwork, and possibly the plaster board to the left of it, to gain access.
If you are going to fit "tees" to the pipework in place of the elbows, you'll need to be able to solder those up, which means you are going to have to wipe any excess solder from the de-soldering operation off the pipes, or the tees won't fit.

I'd suggest you need clear access for around 3 inches / 75 mm back / right from the end of each pipe, more if you are not familiar with soldering.

Sponsored Links
Yup sorry you need to clear a space more for safety really so you can check there's no smouldering which can flare up later my friend.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back