soldering lead pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can you solder lead pipes with the same solder as used for copper pipes?(obviously not the lead free variety), I'm looking to solder over a small pinhole - any special techniques required as opposed to copper?

Sponsored Links
Personally I would be wanting to know why the pin hole had appeared and would be very concerned that the pipe may disintigrate if shown a blow lamp.

Wether a big soldering iron could do the job is questionable.

Also when you consider that there could quite possibly be 150psi within this pipe that is many years old, maybe its time to pension it off.

You could recycle it as musket balls, thats where my scrap lead ends up.

Of course if it is a Gas pipe and fails at a latter date you may expirience a bigger bang than I do with my Musket! ;)

Tim

While I appreciate the caveats and associated underpinning knowledge, I was wondering if anyone could answer the questions I asked

Whilst it is possible to fill the hole its probably not possible not to effect a safe repair.

Therefore the special technique you refer to is Luck ;)

Tim

ps,
For any one else reading this post please note that lead pipe gets weaker with age, it does not get stronger.

The wisest thing to do is replace it.

Sponsored Links
Whilst it is possible to fill the hole its probably not possible not to effect a sound repair.

Tim

basic task of a plumber repair lead pipes,a pinhole could be repaired with a matchstick and plumbers metal or leaded solder use a moleskin wiping cloth and a little heat gently if not used to working with lead.
best practice would be to cut out all the lead and repipe.

It depends whether it's a water supply pipe, waste pipe or gas pipe.
SIze, location, all sorts.
It can be illegal, easy, perfectly reasonable or impossible. You'll find plenty of advice on this site, try a search.

If its a water supply pipe then its ILLEGAL to solder it !!! ( That includes both mains or distribution! )

That should have been advised to you at the beginning of all the replies!!!

The only lead pipes you can solder are lead waste pipes and rainwater pipes!

Generally a sharp tap with a ball peen hammer will seal a pinhole as a temporary repair!

Tony

if it's gas it has to be removed but it can be done but at the same time the lead could disintigrate depending on age and ****

If someone is a mechanic (journeyman) plumber they can quite easily lead wipe or even solder a hole or split in lead piping INCLUDING pressure piping.

Normally the alloy is stronger then the base metal

The key of course is to clean the area use a non acid type flux and use a solder alloy with a low tin content .

For drainage lead I like to use a 38% (tin)62 % (lead) content as the pasty range allows me to work the alloy a bit longer so it doesn't burn a hole in the lead Yet has a stronger tensile strength.

One can bridge large gaps in lead piping with bar solder and using a soldering copper as opposed to an open flame as many decent roofers can solder lead coated copper flashing without burning off the lead protection

If its a water supply pipe then its ILLEGAL to solder it !!! ( That includes both mains or distribution! )

That should have been advised to you at the beginning of all the replies!!!

The only lead pipes you can solder are lead waste pipes and rainwater pipes!

Generally a sharp tap with a ball peen hammer will seal a pinhole as a temporary repair!

Tony

Exactly as lead and potable water systems have been outlawed since 1974 (safe water drinking act USA) BUT it can be used on drainage and venting

Never been approved for gas GREAT for certain acid wastes

Exactly as lead and potable water systems have been outlawed since 1974 (safe water drinking act USA)

Now that you admit that its illegal to solder lead water pipes, one wonders why you seemed to be advising how it can be done!

We are in the UK where lead pipes were used for gas and a few are still in use even now!

Tony

Hi Tony, great question

Installing lead pipe (water supply) is illegal BUT repairing it is another story as after many years lead pipe has oxidized, this prevents the leaching of lead into the water supply NOW Plastic is another story as many are now found to be highly toxic which I did post in 1999 on the Australian web site "Master plumbers.com" articles by Sylvan Tieger.

Many people cannot afford to replace a water main so they opt for repairs if possible.

Actually the lead pipe is not the problem it is the wine that folks used in the lead goblets..

I do not understand how lead pipe even extra heavy could be used for gas service?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back