Soldering question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to fix some copper wire to a steel bar. Can copper wire be soldered onto the steel bar? The wire is weight bearing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No problem soldering steel to copper, you can use normal plumbers solder & flux or if it is a small piece of steel then flux cored solder as used for electronics will do. Just make sure both surfaces are clean and free from grease, wire wool is the most common way to clean the surface.

Depending on the loads involves the soft solder will be the weakest link so make the solder area as large as possible. Silver solder would be stronger but the process is a little more involved and the temps are getting closer to the melting point of copper.

Jason

not wishing to sound pedantic but i seem to remember reading that the joint should be mechanicaly sound before its soldered hence wrap it to form an eye :)

Sponsored Links
If you are wraping it around the bar then there is little point in soldering it as the wire will likely be stronger than the solder. The only reasons I can think of it needing to be mechanically sound is if the solder is only to act as a seal (as in plumbing fittings) or for continuity and reduced resistance ( as in electrical joints)

If youmean forning an eye and then soldering this to one face of the bar, then I agree that it will increase the solder area as I said in my previous post

Having said all that is copper the right material to be using as it has quite a low tensile strengh, brass or even piano wire would be better.

Jason

Wouldn't use copper as a load bearing material it'll be highly prone to failure.

If you are attempting to affix copper to steel, solder is not the way to go. You should be brazing it using a flux and a brass filler rod. TIG welding would also do the job, but I would re-iterate that copper is very poor in the area of tensile strength. I can't imagine why you would select copper for this job. Perhaps if you could tell us what you are attempting to achieve, we could offer some more suitable alternatives. Maybe, the use of steel throughout and then copper plate the parts you want to be.. er.. copper?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back