Soldering question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to undertake my first plumbing job, and going to use crome pipe. When soldering do you have to clean the crome off down to the copper or is it ok just to clean the crome if you know what i mean?

Also Im going to install a shower tray (no legs) go the floor but the floor is wood, There for I think using floor tile adhesive would be a better idea than using sand and cement. Am I correct?

I look forward to your replies, Thanks Richard...

Sponsored Links
you cannae solder the chrome and if you want to solder you'll have the scrape it off, it WILL look shyte

use compression

As corgiman said....you can't solder chrome coated copper......use compression and wrap the olive with a few turns of ptfe....

i assume the chrome pipe will be exposed, therefore suggest you dont try to solder it as your soldering sounds limited it will need to be perfectly cleaned to be watertight, as has has been posted it will look horrible, best to use compression (unless you plan to have chrome pipe coming out of the wall you could clean and solder the pipe into a yorkie bend in the wall but take enough time to clean properly).
i would not use tile cement to bed a shower onto a wooden floor, i would use a cement mix but would make sure the floor was absolutely solid by nailing it every 100mm along the joists as any movement will break the seal, i think it is best to fit a shower tray onto securely fitted 3/4" marine plywood sheet to spread the weight over all the joists.

Sponsored Links
Installing a complete shower including tray, hidden pipes, chrome pipes and waste is not particularly clever as a first experiment; I'd give about 10 : 1 that sooner or later you will have a leak. Probably sooner.

i would not use tile cement to bed a shower onto a wooden floor, i would use a cement mix but would make sure the floor was absolutely solid by nailing it every 100mm along the joists as any movement will break the seal, i think it is best to fit a shower tray onto securely fitted 3/4" marine plywood sheet to spread the weight over all the joists.

What a good idea!! odviously cut it in to the floorboards with a stilsaw!! Would it be an idea to use Aqua board??

As for the crome no joints are exposed, Any commpression will either be the tap connector, and ball valves..

I was told by a plumber to heat the pipe not the fitting! That correct??

I was thinking floortile cement as it is slightly flexable?
As for the cement I take it it would have to be a 3/1 cement mix, Which be best to use? Building sand or Sharp sand??

Thanks, Richard

Any leaks on compression come from the olive not completing the seal...ptfe helps......try it. Does the same as jointing compound

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back