Solid bed trowel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Confusion reigns once again after reading through the BAL adhesive calculator on their website. :confused: (http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/bal/pdfs/specifier_literature/BAL_Adhesive_Calculator_path.pdf)

I've looked up the types of adhesive and the coverage figures are quoted for dry and wet areas (wet being the tiling of a shower area)

It goes on to say that for the 'wet' areas a thin bed solid bed trowel is the correct tool.

I've followed the excellent advice of one of the most helpful people on this forum, and I am looking square notch trowels for my walls, but would this only suffice for the 'dry' areas?

Should I consider a solid bed trowel for the tiling of the shower area? if so would "thin bed" be appropriate, in which case would I then need to select a square notch trowel to meet the depth, so that the tiles are all the same level?

Apologies for the number of questions here - the drive I have to get the job done right is immeasurable!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you use a 10mm sq notched trowel on the wall you will end up with a solid bed of about 3-4mm once you twist the tile into position,I also use sq notch on floors,had to remove a couple once and if you've used powdered adhesive then they are a real pain to remove.

I conclude from this, lancenotalot, that a 10mm square notched trowel would provide an adequate solid bed for use on shower walls. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back