Solid Oak Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to fit an oak floor on the ground floor of my house. There is a concrete floor which is prety level, and the flooring I want to fit is 6inch wide solid oak planks with a tongue and grove on all edges. What is the best method for fitting this type of floor? I have read that it recommended to cover the floor in 3/4" ply and nail the oak to that, but it will raise the floor up way too much! Can I fit this type of floor as a floating floor on a suitable underlay?

Any information would be greatly appreciated :D

John

Sponsored Links
Hi John,
I am going through the same problem, where i purchased my flooring from they said it is to be laid on battens or glue (not on that underlay stuff, as the manufacturers would not guarantee the flooring? :eek: )

If you have any further advice you have got from else where, can you let me know as the task is looming!

I have laid solid beech flooring , maple and shortly laying some oak. I have laid all of these floors as a 'floating' floor. This was from the advice of a professional with 30+ years experience.
All of the floors were laid directly onto the concrete floor (using an appropriate underlay). A floating floor allows the wood to move and expand as it inevitably will. The boards should be glued and I always use Evostick waterproof pva. You need to allow an expansion gap of about 10mm all the way around the room which can be hidden by re-attching the skirting boards (if they have been removed), or with wooden scotia which is a thin bead of wood that can be glued/nailed to the skirting.
The concrete has to be level to start with or it can cause major problems when laying the wood. If the floor is slightly out in small places you can 'double up' the underlay to compensate - but if the floor is out by more than 2-3mm then it will have to be leveled before you start
Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back