Solid wood flooring, Plywood/Fibreboard and underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a couple of simple questions.

I have a pine subfloor which runs in the same direction as the solid wood flooring I am laying down. So, I'm told I need to use 5-6mm plywood or hardboard over it to make the floor as level as possible.

1 - Can I use underlay such as the fancy foil stuff (e.g. High Performance Underlay, Cushion Acoustic Gold Underlay) if I'm secret nailing/screwing the solid wood flooring down?
2 - If not, what type of underlay is suitable?
3 - Does underlay go above or below the plywood/hardboard?

Also, are "hardboard" and "hardboard underlay" 2 different things or one and the same?

Sponsored Links
So if I understand correctly you plan to install your floor secret nailed?

If so, install the plywood (stapled) to the existing floorboards and then nail the new boards on to this.
No underlayment (which would impress by the power and the angle of the nails used turning it useless)

Hi yes, I will secret screw with tongue tite.

Is it ok to nail the plywood down? And does plywood need the same 10mm expansion gaps around the edges of the room as the solid flooring?

Is it ok to nail the plywood down? And does plywood need the same 10mm expansion gaps around the edges of the room as the solid flooring?
Screw the ply every 25 cm, leave a slight gap in between the sheets and around 10mm around the perimeter of the whole floor

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back