Solid wood interior door - How best to repair please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of solid wood interior doors where the handles have pulled off as the material behind them is in a poor state. Question is how best to repair them so that I can screw the knobs back on please? See attached photo...

3TO2O_XqNMP6EMqfDQSKoX3keUTCm4gpP9jE8EM-Il1K1IViRscpX_z3MXAaYV86vOF2xLFU2adtfZj4bDiT-ZJA_MSW3atmmKjQrJAwUjRr4DH8TcPnoz8zxFauywK_QBgViTgbWNxlMD-6o22wJ5otD6pPxlBSbB8DZXZKrIu7za9obRlcfJ851l4EhJzmRaXsNl9reVd5baOaDiVySb9d-a_HzGzY--DjuXUHnwNACTOA9bGh8LN0uj5RWBP9rHMuXXTEVlC9VrdS-7UFP-CQKxpS0lt-cQBJynfniw_cPqOQx33ShKENO_HbHjfdDw5j4XxDPP64iGuZlObmHncfWPsCkoVW4c8x8o27wAT4MbX24vTZOo1DgqQJVIo0yhOh1RkccyWf0eSIwI860SJh5s5p8ERKPfMKMrn7-7oL7sCGkykRjU-oP4oc7LNUtr6OmEsX1HVEAOxLRZJTN_5yMz08xwA7GBaibm-JjYLx_omIyAJedTwnjgU040Hxroy7QuQVn_mEf3fT2Q3kFQCI7lhvKmXQTerbBC3VYaxZ08PlQtwqSU6VWDQ6HLPCt_F0yhT5z-hXYWtrgzwz7kbMYXbRwqiIYEZVJBt1NX1cq0YzZErOsfFNkGKmhCSKcjBlB-z7BsFOeBntMG6KyjiOB7RZvpsgb0ihIpWSbn6BpuBIaWNrwjJZTWyoJw=w493-h657-no

Sponsored Links
Sleeve nuts.

You will probably have to take out your old mortice latches and fit new ones, because modern ones have holes for the screws to go through, and out the other side of the door.

s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg

573110.jpg

it doesn't show up very well, but this one has a cut-out at the end for a screw, and a hole (this side of the square for the spindle) for another. These will fit a handle rose with two, three or four screws. You need to measure the backset (distance between the front plate, and the centre of the spindle square) precisely. It will probably be around 44mm but varies by age and brand.

This superior type also has holes, but only for two screws. It is seldom used now, as it takes more time and skill to fit.

618197.jpg

Many thanks for your quick and detailed response. It certainly gives me a direction to go off and investigate. The "backset" measures 60mm on my mortices. I'll have to see what I can find.

Bedroom2.jpg
Bedroom1.jpg

Please see a couple of suggested methods described in the attached .pdf, and drawings/photo

cheers

Attachments

• PIC 1-FILLITB4.jpg
    PIC 1-FILLITB4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 219
  • PIC 2 - FILLIT AFTER.jpg
    PIC 2 - FILLIT AFTER.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 227
  • PIC 3 - SCARF.jpg
    PIC 3 - SCARF.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_9638.JPG
    IMG_9638.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Door repair.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your quick and detailed response. It certainly gives me a direction to go off and investigate. The "backset" measures 60mm on my mortices.

They are probably "three-inch" latches then.

The yellow Altro ones are very good quality.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=tubular latch

But I can't see a 60mm size.

Does it measure Imperial, to the nearest quarter-inch? You may need to find an old-stock one.

Edit
Yes, the old Legge model have a 60mm backset. You will find them on Ebay. I don't know if they are still made new.

Example
Legge 3722 NP 79MM Tubular Latch (3722-NP)

@SpencerFrank Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply. Both me/and the house (1895 victorian terrace) are of the opinion that adding to the "history" of the door is not a bad thing as they are reclaimed doors fitted throughout the property that show much of their history already, having been hung in their past with various lock/latch fittings throughout their long lives.

I have amended my post as the scarf version is a bit advanced, but have still kept it in at high level. I did not go into enough detail as the 'wedge' needs to be set in via a stopped edge, which avoids a feather edge. It is all very possible but maybe not DIY.

The ply method or door flipping works we'll in most cases.

For basic wood working knowledge and skills you can't beat Robert Wearing's 'The Essential Woodworker'. It's where I started 35 years ago. You can still find it on Abe books occasionally.

Good luck

Last edited:
Ah - I looked up the Legge, and being an old design, it does not seem to have the screw-holes.

Maybe Imperial make one.

The wealth of knowledge from real tradesmen so far has me in awe. Highlighting the massive void between diy and a lifetime of learning your trade.

Looking at enlarged pictures of your door edges, it appears that there used to be a bigger mortice, which has been clumsily filled with a block of wood. If this is the case, and you can pick it out, you could work out the size of the original mortice, and the original lock, and fill it better, or put in a lock or latch of the original size. The modern tubular latch will not be original.

Do you have any of the originals?

I now can't see your first pic.

The original might have been a four or five inch horizontal sashlock. These can be obtained. I am very fond of them. Or a rimlock before that, in a less grand house. The quality of the door, and size of house, will give clues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back