solid wood worktop / laiminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

having whittled down the choice of worktop for our new kitchen to be between either solid wood or laminate, i thought it a good idea to ask here as to any other pros and cons to either i should consider.

im favouring solid wood ... i think it looks much better, although laminate is cheap.

our units are cream gloss, and so we are thinking that a darker wood is the best option - either an iroko, walnut or maybe even wenge.

in your experience (in both fitting, and using), is the extra cost of a solid wood top justifiable? or is laminate not far off the mark in terms of functionality, durability?

the laminates in wickes, for example, are £80 for 3m (seems way too cheap?) whereas a solid wood appears to be in the £300 range for 4m lengths.

bit of a price difference there?

im aware solid wood would need maintaining with oil, etc, this doesnt bother me as long as it means keeping the worktop in good nick.

thoughts anyone?
price is a secondary issue, durability is more my concern.

cheers,
jujhimup

Sponsored Links
Just been speccing a kitchen myself. I like solid wood because I want to radius corners and edge-profile it which you obviously cant do with laminate. I finally chose bamboo because of sustainability issues.

I fitted Ikea real wood worktops, take a look on their sit. They have been in my kitchen for about 18months, I oiled them with a brush every 2months (while the wife watches corrie).
Everyone admires them, not that much more than laminate, well from Ikea anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back