solution to global warming?

As to solar mirrors-
I can see the idea working in theory but surely there are problems. Wouldn't continous light mean that logging companies will be able to work 24 hours a day? And what about the effect on noctournal wildlife?
The real answer is to reduce the amount of pointless transport that goes on in the name of trade. Examples. we export around the same amount of dairy to France as we import (approx. 10000 tonnes), we expot about the same amount of ginger bread to Germany as we import (approx. 1200 tonnes) and the list could go on and on.
Best green tax would be a tax on anything transported over 100miles.

Sponsored Links
Use sugar beet from British farms instead of cane sugar from abroad, reduces transport costs, CO2 emissions and more work for our own people.

How much energy could be saved if unsolicited junk mail were banned?

Wotan

we could save loads of energy if they made this forum white writing on a black background.. it doesn't take any energy to turn a screen black..

Sponsored Links
How much energy could be saved if unsolicited junk mail were banned?

And how many trees?

At school when we were kids we were taught about how vital things like trees, flowers plants etc were to the eco system and yet we go willy nilly cutting them down in the name of progress.
Well if the result of progress is a dying world then I would rather we became stagnant for a few hundred years and let nature get its breath back.

i'm talking about an historical event not body diseases.
going to the doctors is also natural nothing to do with climatic changes.

1348-50 the Black Death
1665 the Great plague of London
1720 the Great plague of Marseille
1738 the Great plague of eastern europe
1770-72 the great plague of Russia
etc
etc
etc
up to AIDS and swine flu

All natural historical events
You're saying that we have no control over natural events .
you're saying that because it's natural we can do NOTHING.
Indeed we should do NOTHING.
Imagine your reaction if one of your family had a disease and the doctors told you that it's just naturally occuring and there's NOTHING we can do so why even bother trying?
When a body is ill it's simple humanity to try to help, does it really matter if that body is a person or the planet?
Or is the real reason to this is that going green and trying to do something will effect your own personal lifestyle?[/quote

Nothing we can do to Stop Climatic Change, look at the state of the world recently, tsunami's/floods, heatwaves, storms etc
You honestly think that the whole world doing there bit will stop climate change, just scare mongering to pay tax, well just have to adapt to the changes.
my personal lifestyle has nothing to do with you. i conform to all green stupid policys and recyle just like others and pay my taxes for it.
i mean't to say it's a natural historic event that we cant stop, of course many other historic events can be changed for the better future or the human race would of been whiped out years ago, not that daft (yet).

so funny reading this..... it's just a natural event and nothing can be done we are all being mugged, just look back into the worlds natural events.

it maybe just possible so slow the process....highly unlikely.
indeed it`s unstoppable :cry: Quite simply IF the planet had nil reserves of oil or coal we wouldn`t be burning them . we would plant trees to burn and ride horses ..basically rewind to 18th century. But the coal ( at least) is from prehistoric trees . so we as a race on a planet are in a catch 22 situation . Therefore proving there is a god with a sense of humour :idea:

As to wheather global warming exsists there really is no doubt.
As to wheather we can do anything about it, there are an awful lot of scientists who say we could.
However, articoceans and others are not totally wrong when they say that there is nothing we can do. The whole world economic system needs to be completely overhauled to have any real effect on the climate. Our greed for constant growth and increased trade fuel the problem, and govermental action has at best been p*** poor. Indeed whilist giving a nod to the issue they continue to work against it, more roads, increased immigration, new airport runways, even down to forcing digital tv on us which uses more electrity than analoge. We as a nation could reduce much of our carbon output by cutting out waste in all its forms. I have personally worked on bank refurbs and the waste disgusted me, hardwoods of all types ripped out after only a few years all in the name of progress and image.
But, we must remember fossil fuels are a finite resource and if we want to continue to enjoy their benifits it does make sense not to waste them now, we cannot deny that as a nation we consume more per head than many other countries though we are not the worst by far.
I'll continue to do "my bit" and moan and grumble to my mates over a pint and just hope for the best :(

All this talk of reducing carbon footprints is all just pi55ing in the wind.

There was a discussion program on BBC4 when the Copenhagen Summit was on (don't get me started on that complete waste of time).

anway 3 guests on the sceptic from M.I.T, some danish bloke in between and the goon from University Of Suffolk from where all the e-mails went missing.

The host recounted an experiment a UK journo took part in, where her and his family cut back on their carbon emissions as much as was humanly possible and still been able to get by in day to day life
This was for a whole year and at the end they had just about reduced by the government target of 20%

They then said that if EVERYONE in the UK reduced theirs by this amount OVERNIGHT we would be able to delay the onset of catastrophic global by...............................................

SEVEN FEKKING MINUTES, what a complete waste of time, there is nothing we can do about this, it is NOT a man made problem, this is just a natural shift in the planets climiate, it has happend before and will happen again.

Anway rant over.

Rico

indeed it`s unstoppable :cry: Quite simply IF the planet had nil reserves of oil or coal we wouldn`t be burning them . we would plant trees to burn and ride horses ..basically rewind to 18th century.

no, we'd be planting trees to harvest and make into wood pulp to ferment into ethanol for use in petrol engines, and fields of rapeseed to turn into oil for biofules for diesel engines...
the gas it the only one I don't know a substitute for yet that doesn't involve deriving it from coal or oil.. but I'm sure there's one out there that I just haven't heard of..

I suppose you could electrolise hydrogen from seawater if you use wind and hydro electric to do it...

the gas it the only one I don't know a substitute for yet that doesn't involve deriving it from coal or oil.. but I'm sure there's one out there that I just haven't heard of..

I suppose you could electrolise hydrogen from seawater if you use wind and hydro electric to do it...

Gas derived from seawater wouldn't be the best option. It uses a great deal of energy to produce hydrogen which whilist it is a very green fuel in it's own right producing only water when burnt there are problems. It has quite a low calorific value, but the major problem is that of storage and transportation. Hydrogen atoms are so small that they migrate through other materials, in short it will eventually leak away. The system only really works if the gas is used soon after being made.

A far better answer is to effectively rot down cellulose and other plant fibres to produce methane. Many landfills have vents designed to burn off this gas that accumulates. Rather than burning it off capture and use would be the option.

ah yes, i forgot about methane..
keep the cown indoors and extracr it from the air.. the fart alot aparently.. it's the main cause of global warming according to some..

You're correct about methane being a greenhouse gas which I believe is more damaging than either CO2 or water vapour.
To add something else to the main point of the topic. Wheather global warming is man made or purely a natural phenomnia there is evidently a positive action we all could take. A report some time last year worked out that IF every roof in the world were painted white the planet would reflect much more of the sun's rays than it does now :confused: Not sure about how much effect it would have myself thought.

Wind farms, instead of using them to make elekitricty, feed them with power and use them as big fans, to kool the earth down. :p :p

Wotan

Who gives a F*** about global warming when we're all up to our ar5es in snow ... Burn a f***ing great hole in the ozone layer and let more sunlight in.

It's a myth.

MW

Sponsored Links
Back