Solved! Thanks! Old Oiler boiler not firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1E835BB9-3670-4E42-946C-6F08C0A67D72.jpeg
C08DDEE4-ABD6-4C4F-9A7C-22137AC687E6.jpeg
4DB1BB76-EA7A-4915-B4F5-C2CE80E1B3F3.jpeg

Hi There,
My (very old) oil boiler has decided to not fire up today!
Only thing I did yesterday that was any different was I turned down the stat on boiler to continue running the pump without heating up the water anymore as I was bleeding and trying to balance the system (trying because half the lockshields are gummed up and one leaked when trying to mostly close that rad off!)

Turned thermostat back up before trying to put the heating on this morning and the oil burner won’t fire up. Also the manual starter button which I am pretty sure normally lights up is dark.

Have tested the positive and neutral posts on burner and is not receiving any voltage.

I am thinking this may be a broken thermostat as seems an unlikely coincidence that this would happen just after I have adjusted it. but would this cause no power to the burner?

Any help appreciated!

Happy to switch the thermostat out for a new one but not certain of the part I need.

Found this one at screwfix looks the same but not certain if it is correct for this application.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/strom-ss...MIq_OdvtCt5gIVjLTtCh2nUQJOEAQYASABEgJDzvD_BwE

Sponsored Links
That is not a compatible stat.
What are you measuring voltages with?
Have you tried pressing the black button on the stat.....Make sure any timers and stats are calling for heat.
Check for mains voltage between the brown and blue wire as photo 3.

A photo inside the thermostat is needed for further instructions.

Last edited:
As the lock out light on the burner itself isn't lit, then the fault is very likely to be the thermostat.
Apologies, I can't advise on the replacement 'stat, but others will know.
John :)

That is not a compatible stat.
What are you measuring voltages with?
Have you tried pressing the black button on the stat.....Make sure any timers and stats are calling for heat.
Check for mains voltage between the brown and blue wire as photo 3.

A photo inside the thermostat is needed for further instructions.

Thanks yes I am checking for voltage at brown/blue wires in photo 3 with a multimeter set on AC voltage.

Will upload a clear photo of inside of stat after work today as didn’t take one this morning.

Sponsored Links
Thanks yes I am checking for voltage at brown/blue wires in photo 3 with a multimeter set on AC voltage.

Will upload a clear photo of inside of stat after work today as didn’t take one this morning.

The burner posts are blue and orange..( To my eyes ).
Check from blue to the brown wire that comes out of the flex and joins in the loose connector.
The brown will go up to the control and limit stat and return on the orange connected to the burner.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, turns out it was the reset button on thermostat was not pressing fully, took off cover and pressed the inner switch and it fired up first time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back