Solvent weld glue just on the pipe?

Sponsored Links
can glueing the fitting not push any excess glue in to the fitting which could later cause a build up and blockages?

Sponsored Links
When using solvent weld pipe do you just put glue on the pipe not the fitting?

I just put glue on the pipe. This is the preferred method so that you don't push glue into the fitting. So long as you put enough on you won't have a problem. Once the pipe is pushed in I remove the excess by wiping around the joint with my finger to make it look nice and neat

I've just read the instructions on the polypipe sc250 solvent cement I have and it says both. Also says use a cleaner polypipe pipe cleaner cf250. Though I've rarely used cleaner before. Do others? Also I have had it stored in the van with the real cold temperatures the last few nights will this be a problem?

Bit of 120 grit does it for me, wipe off and plenty of solvent on pipe and get it in quick twisting it, never had any issue, I think it's a personal thing tho as others I know do either.

Personally, I do both. If you glue just the pipe you run the risk of the glue being wiped off the pipe by the lip of the joint and not reaching the bottom of the joint. I also twist the pipe when pushing it in to ensure the glue is spread all the way around the joint. As muggles says, use the "right" amount of glue, if that makes sense?

If you do both surfaces it gives you a little time to adjust the fitting if req, just the pipe and it grabs so no time for adjustment

and if your still worried, whack a load of electrical tape around the joint.. Thats what my plumber would do!!!
thinkerg.gif

Thanks how and when Would you use the cleaner? If the.fitting is done right should it never leak?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back