Some advice on order of tasks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am taking the walls back to brick at the weekend in the living room as they are all blown, I am also removing the door frames as they are totally wrecked and need replacing, my question is what should the order of jobs be, I think I am partially right but unsure, could anyone help? I need to complete this project before XMAS! :)

1. Remove blown plaster from brick (careful around electric cables :) )
  2. Give bricks a clean to make sure dot n dab holds
  3. Plasterboard new ceiling (poking through wires for lights etc)
  4. Plasterboard the walls (starting from door frame openings, no joints over door frame top)
  5. Plasterboard the inside of the door frames (is this needed? OR leaving brick?)
  6. Plaster the room (guy coming to do this)
  7. Fit new door frame once plaster is all dry (to the new plastered inisdes OR brick?)
  8. Give new plaster 50/50 coat of emulsion
  9. Install new skirting boards / architrave etc
  10. Give walls the final 2 finishes of paint etc
  11. Have a brew
Thanks for any help given, much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I would;
1. Ok
2.ok
3.ok
4.ok
5. Fit a wooden door liner to the brick because the door will be hung on this.
6. Ok but you could do it yourself with help ( save money! )
7. See 5.
8. Mist coat only needs watering down by max 20%
9. Ok
10. Ok
11. Definitely!!

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

So would it be best fitting the door frame with the plasterboard before plastering? is there a way to work out how wide the frame should be so plaster is inline with it when done? I am going to just buy wood and make it, not buy one of those premade ones.

Reason I am getting guy in is I need it plastering during week when I am at work so its can dry out quick ready for the next weekend, Christmas isn't far away and wife wants Christmas decor up and so do the little ones :)

I have done some rendering outside to a smooth finish on first go but the ceiling I think I would struggle with, although I do intend on doing some plastering in the house.

Thanks

My guess is that by the time the plasterboard and adhesive are on the brickwork ( assuming you use 12mm boards ) that would be about 24mm proud of the brick plus 3mm for the skim coat . The plasterer should be able to feather the skim coat to the edge of the frame .
As long as there is no more than 5mm of the door frame that is proud of the plasterboard, you should be ok and even if it is a little proud, you could always plane a bit off.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help Mike.

I decided I am going to plaster it myself. Board it up Saturday. Plaster Sunday.

Your proposed schedule of works contains insufficient use of Item 11.

Cheers
Richard

good luck! I'd be impressed if you get it all done by xmas, and so will your wife :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back