Some advice with regards a retaining dry stone wall

Of course gabions aren't exactly cheap and will take up half a metre of space or thereabouts so it's not such a great solution unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
Of course gabions aren't exactly cheap and will take up half a metre of space or thereabouts so it's not such a great solution unfortunately.
Understand that it will take up space but firstly I have to prevent the existing wall from collapsing

I can’t afford €20,000 and I can assure you that there will be other costs as other parts of the garden be affected by construction

Having said that I need something that will work - in your opinion will the gabion idea work?

What would you do?

Understand that it will take up space but firstly I have to prevent the existing wall from collapsing

I can’t afford €20,000 and I can assure you that there will be other costs as other parts of the garden be affected by construction

Having said that I need something that will work - in your opinion will the gabion idea work?

What would you do?
So you have a civil engineer ( qualified??) who tells you the solutions and you come back asking unqualified perps what they think. ???? All depends on type of soil to be retained, clay,sand, something inbetween, water table at back of wall, any loading on ground at back of wall, bearing capacity of ground beneath wall foundations ( if it has any ), size and construction of foundations. What about a sheet piled or crib wall?

So you have a civil engineer ( qualified??) who tells you the solutions and you come back asking unqualified perps what they think. ???? All depends on type of soil to be retained, clay,sand, something inbetween, water table at back of wall, any loading on ground at back of wall, bearing capacity of ground beneath wall foundations ( if it has any ), size and construction of foundations. What about a sheet piled or crib wall?
Sorry mate I am just asking for advice

The soil behind is a mix of clay and rocks/ rubble from an old ditch if you look at the original pics

A house was build on site of a derelict cottage a number of years before it sits about 30-35 feet back on its property.

The wall foundations are not deep or wide I am guessing

Not sure what you are meaning when you say crib wall

Sponsored Links
Another factor not mentioned, if another house is near on the other side of that wall, do its foundations collapse too, if the wall gives way...

Another factor not mentioned, if another house is near on the other side of that wall, do its foundations collapse too, if the wall gives way...
The house behind is about twenty - twenty five feet away I will take a photo to indicate

Its not me you need to convince, its your house insurance company I was thinking of.

Here is the house behind

Attachments

• 14D2B74E-5D34-47E3-A7EE-8BB0CCCCB525.jpeg
    14D2B74E-5D34-47E3-A7EE-8BB0CCCCB525.jpeg
    518.6 KB · Views: 51
Someone mentioned that if it did collapse and affected the house behind then we may be liable

Has anybody used a gabion structure to solve a similar problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back