SOme help please..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have installed 2 Zone 1,2,3 mains fed downlighters in bathroom (in zone 2 and 3). I would like to install a third one...however it is zone 1 (above the bath). The units I have bought are suitable, however it does say that a 30mA RCD must be used..... how do I go about wiring this? Can the RCD be located in the attic?

I also have a three pole isolating switch outside the bathroom,which switches the fan (not timer) on and off. Can I wire in the dowlighters so the lights and fan are switched on and off from the switch outside the bathroom (can I also change it to a double pole switch) If it is not possible to wire in the lights to the switch outside the bathroom, can I change the triple pole switch to a double pole switch - and wire the fan into the lights?

Hopeing someone can advise or point me in the right direction. I have checked the reference sticky... but I'm not sure the answers I am after are in there.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks m8. So in basic terms I would connect all the lights to one side of the FCU and have the mains wires going in the other side ... what about the live wires which are not connected to the lights? This owuld be located in the attic?

How would this fit in with the other part of my query re. the fan and the double/triple pole switch outside the bathroom?

Thanks for your help ..
Cheers

Feed your RCD FCU with the live feed currently serving the bathroom lights. If there are two feeds, then they both feed the FCU. The outgoing from the fcu goes to the lighting via a jb & the bathroom light switch.

The RCD FCU can be mounted in Z3, or outside the zones (airing cupboard??), but I would not put it in loft as it will be PIA to reset if tripped.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate ... have got it up to the point you mention a jb?

Cheers

trevormuk said:
Thanks mate ... have got it up to the point you mention a jb?

Cheers

Naughty securespark is showing off by using TLAs (three letter acronyms) - or more likely just being lazy ;).

JB = junction box.
PIA = pain in (the) ass.

--
Michael

actually, it is arse not ass, but arse gets censored

lol .. of course!

Funnily enought I got the PIA one!

Isn't it funny how ass doesn't get censored but arse does ...!

Thanks for the help... cheers

The penny has dropped .... I have re-read the For reference section!

Just to check ... if I wire in the RCD FCU as directed, change the pull switch in the bathroom to a DOUBLE POLE pull switch, I can also connect the fan with the lights, without the need for a three pole switch outside the bathroom...

Cheers

I've been out today and bought a couple of junction boxes and a 30mA 13 amp RCD unit from Wickes - £29.99 !!

Just one last thing .... please ....I am going to put the bathroom lights and fan on a seperate spur with the RCD. By doing this can I use a double pole fused switch outside the bathroom to operate the lights and fan (doing away with the triple pole switch for the fan, and the ceiling switch for the lights)?

Many thanks

trevormuk said:
I've been out today and bought a couple of junction boxes and a 30mA 13 amp RCD unit from Wickes - £29.99 !!
Shoulda gone to Screwfix....

Just one last thing .... please ....I am going to put the bathroom lights and fan on a seperate spur with the RCD. By doing this can I use a double pole fused switch outside the bathroom to operate the lights and fan (doing away with the triple pole switch for the fan, and the ceiling switch for the lights)?

Many thanks
You don't need a fused switch, as there's a fuse in the RCD spur.

I would still keep a means of fan isolation though, in case you ever need to work on it with the lights on....

Thanks mate ..... didn't realise it was so much cheaper .. nearly £10 !!

Will check there before I purchase other stuff ... I still have the kitchen to do!!

Cheers

Trevor

Actually, it's not as bad here as the Screwfix forum - I've often complained to them about the brain-dead and context-free way that they censor words.

The prize has to go to Philips and their lighting forum though. Same s/w as this one, but on a scale of 1 to stupid they've turned their censorship knob up to 11. Ass for instance is stripped out wherever it appears, including in words such as glass, gasses, assume.

So maybe we shouldn't complain too much...

OOI - I think I'll try a test on General Chat ....

Have cobbled together this rough diagram for the proposed wiring....

Does this look ok?

1094842191_wiring.JPG

Thanks for all your help.

Chees

seems ok to me

remember the fcu and switch will have seperate in and out terminals you don't seem to have drawn this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back