Some of my electrics are not working after plastering work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plasterer in to redo two of my ceilings in the kitchen and bathroom. Now that the work has been completed a socket in my kitchen and my front door buzzer (I live in a block of flats) no longer work.

Is this moisture related? Problem is things should have dried by now as the plastering was done 2 weeks ago. Although he painted it, he didn't plaster the wall where the socket is and didn't go near the intercom system which is in the hall.

Will the fusebox offer any clues? Am I expected to pay for an electrician's visit if I need one to come out?

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Needs investigation. He may have disconnected, turned off or removed something to make his job easier (it’s not unknown!).

Check your fuses / MCBs first. I would call platerer and tell him what’s happened. Other than that. It’s detective work, I’m afraid.

would the costs of an electrician ever be covered by the workman in this case?

Depends on the contract that you have with him. Or their terms and conditions.

Two weeks is a long time to wait. Maybe you should have told him about the problems on day 1.

Sponsored Links
I was called to a similar sounding fault after a painter had been in, he had removed then replaced a socket but nipped onto the insulation on the neutral

Although he painted it, he didn't plaster the wall where the socket is and didn't go near the intercom system which is in the hall.

So why do you think the plasterer has something to do with the electrical problems?

Unless he loosened accessories off the wall when painting, he's really not going to be interested.

You may as well get an electrician yourself, and pay him yourself, from what I understand.

The buzzer is now working, and I believe for the socket what has happened is the dust from when he tore down part of my ceiling as gotten behind the tile the socket is embedded in and interfered with the electrics. Or perhaps the dust and debris have gotten in to the socket itself? I'll need to take it off the wall to investigate. It's right under where the ceiling section was taken down

I'm not sure that qualifies as being his fault, no, but perhaps better precautions could have been taken to cover the open sockets?

What's altered to make the buzzer work ?
Dust is unlikely to cause a socket to not work.

Oh that was unrelated as had to do with the intercom - silly me. Could a fuse have tripped on the socket?

That Feeds The Socket Yes, haven't you looked at you Consumer Unit/Fusebox. If unsure post a photo of it.

Last edited:
I had a similar fault not so long ago tiling around a socket just backed of from the wall.
Adhesive had bridged a couple of terminals in the switch.
Took 2 or 3 attempts to get it thoroughly clean but worked after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back