Some sockets not working?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but, unless I'm missing something, that thread says exactly the same as this one. In particular, the OP said (in both threads) that the electrician "has somehow bypassed the issue". That could mean all sorts of things, although Risteard has assumed that it means that a satisfactorily-functioining safety device has been bypassed.

Indeed, even if Risteard's interpretation is correct, I'm not sure what else the electrician could have been expected to do on a freezing cold bank holiday (and in rented property, so that only the landlord could commission major work). He did, after all, say that the problem needs to be sorted out properly "asap".

Kind Regards, John

I couldn't see it either, but I kept quiet as I didn't want to look any more stupid!

Thanks, but, unless I'm missing something, that thread says exactly the same as this one. In particular, the OP said (in both threads) that the electrician "has somehow bypassed the issue". That could mean all sorts of things, although Risteard has assumed that it means that a satisfactorily-functioining safety device has been bypassed.

Indeed, even if Risteard's interpretation is correct, I'm not sure what else the electrician could have been expected to do on a freezing cold bank holiday. He did, after all, say that the problem needs to be sorted out properly "asap".

Kind Regards, John
It is clear that he has given that other circuits disconnected when the fault was in place.

So the RCCB has clearly been bypassed.

Other options might have been to completely disconnect the offending socket circuit leaving everything else running, but freezing conditions do not permit devices (which are clearly working correctly) to be bypassed. There is no point in any type of protective device if we bypass it simply because it is doing its job. And a temporary measure does not make something safe or acceptable.

Sponsored Links
It is clear that he has given that other circuits disconnected when the fault was in place. So the RCCB has clearly been bypassed.
Perhaps that is "clear" to you.

Also, I'm not sure in what way is it any "clearer" in that other thread than in this one - the OP's posts in both seem to be essentially identical to one another.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all your replies. I am concerned now that his temporary fix to bypass the fault has also bypassed a safety measure? Do you think its less safe now than it was before the electrician came out at 8pm on a freezing cold dark bank holiday when I had no heating, hot water, electric and no where else to go. Obviously 6-8 sockets still do not work.
What do you think in your best guess it is that he has done? Ive tried to get hold of him but no avail.

Got hold of the electrician and he said it was the rcd he bypassed and theres a wiring issue but the breakers are still on....

Got hold of the electrician and he said it was the rcd he bypassed and theres a wiring issue but the breakers are still on....
Well, in fairness I did say that it was obvious what he had done. But I am sorry that you have suffered at the hands of a dangerous cowboy contractor.

Well, in fairness I did say that it was obvious what he had done.
You did, and at least two of us said that (although quite possible) it was far from "obvious". The fact that your assumption has proved to be correct does not alter that.
But I am sorry that you have suffered at the hands of a dangerous cowboy contractor.
As I said/asked before, what else could/should he have done? What would you have done (on a bank holiday)?

Kind Regards, John

What would you have done (on a bank holiday)?
Certainly not bypassed a safety device which was functioning correctly. How could that possibly be condoned?

If we bypass safety devices for doing what they should do then what is the point in fitting them in the first place? Apparently we're happy that they are there so long as they never do what they should do! Why not just fit a fake one?

Well it was the letting agents own electrician who installed all the electrics in this flat when the emergency guy who I got out on New years day said the wiring was all over the place and the best he could do was to bypass the rcd and leave the breakers on....and I will have to get the wiring fault fixed as soon as possible, where-ever the wiring fault maybe as he couldn't find and said it would take a while to find it as he tested all the sockets and appliances and no fault was found there.

DO you think its safe for the time being?

If the emergency electrician hadnt done this on New Years day I would still be without heating, hotwater, electric etc...amazing how low the house temperature can get with no heating, got down to 13cel. But it was -1 outside.

The letting agents said they will get the same guy out who installed the electrics to fix the issue. But honestly Im worried about that and dont know when it will happen.

When you say a dangerous cowboy contractor, do you mean the person who installed the electrics, not the guy who came out on New Years Day?

Last edited:
You did, and at least two of us said that (although quite possible) it was far from "obvious". The fact that your assumption has proved to be correct does not alter that.
If you carefully read all the facts (from start to finish) then there was no other conclusion to be drawn. Hence my suggestion that it was obvious. I suspect you and others may have overlooked some of the stated facts when reading through the thread(s), which meant that there was no other explanation.

So what would you have done? Nothing, perhaps?

Kind Regards, John
Perhaps disconnected the faulty circuit for a start. Given that I haven't been to the premises it's a bit unfair to ask what specifically should have been done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back