Mummy's gonna get your tummy,
Nannys favourite little boy, etc

Politicians use it all the time ie:
Fred Bloggs, the only candidate living in the borough,
Vote Charlie Smith your Conservative candidtae. etc
I liked Sunray’s dialogue style.

There’s actually a word for it.

Blup
I recallmy English teachert describing as 'He that is'.

I read some novels a big few years back where the author wrote about the reader reading about the author writing the book I was reading. Now that was confusing

However I've never claimed to be a linguist of any sort and failed my English 'O' level 3 times. As a technical school English Literature was not a subject for first 3 years.

Sponsored Links
Its perfectly feasible to train someone to lay bricks at 14 years old and have them able to do basic reading writing and spelling. But the government wants to teach people maths until their 18.

Blup

There is a difference between training a person in a skill and educating the same person in how to develop that same skill.

A person trained in a skill will ( shpuld ) know how to do the actions of that skill but may not know why, when and where to do the actions.

An person educated in the same skill is far more likely to know the 3 W's ( why when where ) as well as the how.

An "electrician" can be trained to do first class installations in an estate of new houses but then be unable to fault find on those installations.

An electrician educated in the basics of electrical theory is a likely to have ( self developed ) skills in fault finding,

Completely off topic but this morning an elderly neighbour, we're on a bit more than nodding terms as she walks her dog, mentioned her TV had stopped working and she'd have to wait until her son comes next weekend (not this coming weekend).

Being neighbourly I offered to have a quick look.

Wow to say I was shocked is an understatement:
A very small 1990's TVonics PVR
1678966860178.jpeg
(our first PVR was a Wharfedale clone) using AV to 1980's Hitachi top loading VHS VCR
1678967202088.jpeg
(cabled remote control era and doesn't work, drop down flap over switches/buttons missing) acts as interface between AV and UHF analogue to1970's black and white dual standard (405/625) Ferguson.
1678967267696.jpeg

PVR was humming, VCR showed wrong time & TV showed raster when switched on and warmed up.

The problem being a switch, between AV & TV on VCR (exposed by missing flap) moved, presumably during cleaning.
I didn't have a camera with me unfortunately but the similar looking pictures are close enough.

By the time I saw myself out Coronation Street theme tune was playing.

Sponsored Links

An electrician educated in the basics of electrical theory is a likely to have ( self developed ) skills in fault finding,
You forgot to mention he may be totally incapable of doing a proper installation.

You forgot to mention he may be totally incapable of doing a proper installation.
That obviously is possible but, in general, I'm definitely with bernard on this one.

If I had to choose between an electrician who had a good understanding of basic electrical theory/principles, but limited practical experience, on one hand, and one with little understanding of electrical principles, but lots of experience (of doing things but not understanding why) on the other hand, I know which one I would be inclined to go for.

Kind Regards, John

Its perfectly feasible to train someone to lay bricks at 14 years old and have them able to do basic reading writing and spelling. But the government wants to teach people maths until their 18.

Blup
For what it's worth... I could lay bricks by that age. I remember talking to my junior school teacher about helping build a coal bunker and her telling my parents at open eveniing I had good imagination...
PS the part of the coal bunker I built was utter parc but not many years later I extended the brick shed and that is quite presentable and still in use over 50 years later I think I got up to about 10 bricks an hour :).
In 3rd or 4th year at high school I removed a part of 2 walls under the stage to allow access to a space for doing some electrical work then rebuilt the bricks in a way giving access to the wasted space for extra storage.

Completely off topic but this morning an elderly neighbour, we're on a bit more than nodding terms as she walks her dog, mentioned her TV had stopped working and she'd have to wait until her son comes next weekend (not this coming weekend).

Being neighbourly I offered to have a quick look.

Wow to say I was shocked is an understatement:
A very small 1990's TVonics PVRView attachment 298387 (our first PVR was a Wharfedale clone) using AV to 1980's Hitachi top loading VHS VCRView attachment 298388 (cabled remote control era and doesn't work, drop down flap over switches/buttons missing) acts as interface between AV and UHF analogue to1970's black and white dual standard (405/625) Ferguson.View attachment 298389

PVR was humming, VCR showed wrong time & TV showed raster when switched on and warmed up.

The problem being a switch, between AV & TV on VCR (exposed by missing flap) moved, presumably during cleaning.
I didn't have a camera with me unfortunately but the similar looking pictures are close enough.

By the time I saw myself out Coronation Street theme tune was playing.
Awh, spoke to this lady a short while ago while she passed with her dog and she said her TV didn't work last night, I popped in and sure enough the TV was dead and also failed the sniff test.
Yeah... just found a way to get rid of a redundant 32" TV that's been standing here since Father in Law passed 4 months ago. Our neighbour seems delighted she can get shot of the VCR now too.

One does have to careful what one says, talking to son on phone I asked QRM answer yes, never thought any more about it until much later, when his XYL asked what's QRM and I told her, forgetting about the chat with son. He really got it in the neck.

Oh how things keep going.

This afternoon; "Sunray, Remember...?"

"Yes."

"Number 6 says she turned the kitchen light on and it made a buzzing sound and didn't come on properly, now it wouldn't turn off."

"Sounds like an old florry fitting... but wont turn off?"

"Her son went round and changed the light but it still buzzes and still wont turn off."

I was shortly going to be on my way to my neices birthday party (Wonka fancy dress as it happens) so I got a move on and drove round hoping to be back in time to pick up Mrs Sunray and not be too late. The fishy smell of burning plastic asailed my nostrils as the door opened and following the elderly resident to the kitchen I found switch was hot to the touch, it was replaced within 5 minutes during which time the kettle boiled and the teapot transported elsewhwere. Checking the new LED 4ft fitting wiring and quick electrical tests another 10.

"That's all done Mrs xxx."

"Come in here."

I found the tenant and the previous customer in the lounge. "I'm glad it's you again, I remember you saying how you enjoyed my carrot cake. No sugar is it?"

It would have been rude to refuse and we chatted briefly, I wish more customers were like these.

I was home at the time we'd planned to leave and I got to play with my great niece and great nephew before they went to bed.

Oh my costume? I went dressed as Rupert Salt in the 1971 version, wearing the brown suit I purchased for my sisters wedding in 1974 which caused a few chuckles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back