Todays domestic job... another

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been out to daughters tonight and returned home 20:30 on the dot with the intention of walking off some of the the curry takeaway and the phone rang. I was told the customer sounded like an elderly person panicking saying he had just broken a switch and replaced it with a switch he had but it doesn't work and is concerned about having no lights. It happened to be a neighbour to this job who gave him the phone number:
Todays little gem...

Customer reported a light not switching off and requires a new switch, it was within 200yds of home so the job became mine.

The elderly Crabtree switch felt fine, not the classic dubious feel when a contact welds together. I switched the power off, removed the 4BA screws and cut round the multiple layers of paint. the switch moved from the wall and chunks of dried out rubber insulation fell out. The 1/0.044 twin rubber/rubber was way beyond Sunrays kiss of life.
as it's 200yds from home Sunray was asked to go look. I grabbed a tool pouch and walked.

Quite right an elderly couple in their 80's switch at exactly the same height as the handle of his walking aid, he stumbled and broke the switch which he says was fizzing, part was even still laying on the floor. He had a spare switch and he swears the wires went into L1 & L2 on the old switch so that's where he'd wired them to. I moved one to com and turned power on, it worked, I screwed it to the backbox and home by 20:48 phoning in to say it's done.

How nice to get a genuine report, no turdus bovinus and a genuinly grateful customer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back