Sometimes domestic is alright.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The phonecall:
"Do you know where such and such court is?"
"Yes Boss little bungalows behind the garage."
"Ah right could you nip round and sort out a 2 way switch, it sounds like they have f****d up a switch change."
"Now?"
"If you can mate. Oh by the way it's a rental." I was given the details and rang the number to say I was on my way.

The property is about 400 yards from home, 800yards walk, 1.5 mile drive.
With a few tools, meters and a couple of switches in a bag I walked to find a couple of elderly ladies without any power, a couple of ladies whom I recognised but couldn't place.

They clearly described the incorrect operation of the 2 way switching over the stairs since a rewire some 5 years before but last night the RCD tripped when the turned the light on, initially it would reset but this morning it didn't, meaning they had no heating for 4 hours (HHR NSH requiring power to control heaters).

Trying the switches it was obvious one was knackered and removing it found the module was broken with one of the brass terminals still screwed to the wire but loose in the backbox. Replaced the 2G switch and did some tests at CU. Powered up and RCD held in.

CU is a 10 way Wylex split load but 2nd half used for the E7 circuits.

As soon as a light came on "Can I put the kettle on now?"
"Yes it should be OK."

I reckon that was under 20 minutes, I checked the proper operation of the light, packed away my bits, borrowed a dustpan to clear the debris which fell from the backbox, showed the broken pieces to one lady, explained the proper operation to her and she confirmed it was how it was before the rewire.
A mug of tea was handed to me by the other lady; "Sugar?"

"Thank you, no sugar thanks."
She returned with a plate; "Home made carrot cake."
"I really shouldn't." touching my slightly oversize tummy.
"I won't take no for an answer." says the lady behind me. "Sit down." A hand gestured to an armchair, the 2 ladies sat on the sofa and started talking about the lack of a vicar due to retirement.
"Yes, it's a shame Chris and Sarah have retired." replied Sunray I (I know this As I have dealings with Drama and quizzes in the Church hall)
Suddenly I felt like the sisters best friend and learnt some of the gossip.

It was lovely tea and the cake was very special... Shhh don't let her see this but much nicer than anything Missus Sunray has made!

A lovely chat with a couple of ladies in their 80's but far more mobile than me. I was away from home for 75 minutes and I got a walk in.

Edited for Mottie

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why do some people refer to themselves in the third person? I’ve never understood that.

If you work for carrot cake and gossip I'd be delighted for you to spark for me any day of the week!

If you work for carrot cake and gossip I'd be delighted for you to spark for me any day of the week!
Carrot cake and gossip makes the work so much more fulfilling, so does the monetary renumeration form the landlord via the agent and company employing me:giggle:

Sponsored Links
As an aside to this the ladies phoned me this morning, they realised I run an annual quiz at the Church hall. Probably where I recognise them from but with 100+ people in there I'm sure can't be expected to know them all.

Why do some people refer to themselves in the third person? I’ve never understood that.
In a technical report one would not refer to ones self, ie:
I applied power Power was applied.
I added sulphur to the flask Sulphur was added to the flask.

On that basis all of my references to 'I' are incorrect.

The whole post is a story or narrative and I could have just as correctly used 'the author' or 'your author'.

The whole point of the post is generally it goes along the lines of 'I hate domestics', however if I made one those as brief as possible it would be "I changed a switch."

Doing the same with this post would have been "I changed a switch." From that I dare say everyone can tell nothing about it, good job or crap etc, no lies about 'it just went wrong' when finding a brand new switch incorrectly wired. It's so nice when a genuine customer has a genuine fault which in this case appears to have been left over from a full rewire. And a wonderful piece of cake with the cuppa to round it off. Additionally I don't have a problem chatting with a customer for a short while, especially when there is some local common interest.

So much nicer than finding dog sh*t and Sunray having to wipe his shoes on the way out.:(

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back