sound from back wheel on my car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone please advise me. I have noticed in the last week that my car is making a noise from the back wheel sounds like something is catchin on it, I have checked it all out but cant see anything. It doesn't always happen but it happens more times than not...............any ideas please guys?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome northerngal77 :D :D :D

could be a million things
fault with the tyre/pressure problem
wheel or bearing problem
transmission problem
braking problem
suspension problem
bodywork problem

a lot more detail needed
speed
gear
excellerating
braking
left hand turn right hand turn
heavy /light load
wet dry
when everything is hot or cold

etc

heeelllooo and welcome northerngal77 :D :D :D

could be a million things
fault with the tyre/pressure problem
wheel or bearing problem
transmission problem
braking problem
suspension problem
bodywork problem

a lot more detail needed
speed
gear
excellerating
braking
left hand turn right hand turn
heavy /light load
wet dry
when everything is hot or cold

etc
Thanks for the warm welcome much appreciated.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It happens most of the time now from getting 2 20mph. There may/may not be another noise when I brake I will take more notice 2moz. I don't think it changes with steering left/right. Still occurs in wet/dry weather. The car is 6yrs old low mileage. Hope this helps

place to start
is it regularly serviced has the noise started near to the last service??
is there any annoying lights on the dash that the tree freshener is covering
has anything happened recently even a light bump on the back??

to be honest your best bet is to take it to your local little mechanic you know and ask his/her opinion
or the place you get it serviced if you have a good relation with them
but not a main dealer as the £££ signs light up before they help you if your not carefull

Sponsored Links
You should tell us the make and model of your car.
If it has pads on the rear, it could be that they are getting low and, the squealers (audible wear indicators) are touching the discs.
It could be a lot of other things too but, it needs to be looked at.

You should tell us the make and model of your car.
If it has pads on the rear, it could be that they are getting low and, the squealers (audible wear indicators) are touching the discs.
It could be a lot of other things too but, it needs to be looked at.

Hi thx for yr reply, its a Renault Laguna mate, I do get it serviced every yr when the MOt is due its due again in Nov.

The Laguna has been in production for twenty years now and there are many different models.
Which one do you have?

Do lets know if it has discs or drums on the back......either type is unlikely to be stripped and cleaned during servicing, just a visual inspection of the pad / shoe lining thickness (the latter being done through a peep hole in the back plate - nowhere near good enough.)
There's a good chance that the linings are coming away from the shoes, if its a drum system.
(The large nyloc nut securing the drum on these can be reused twice, by the way.)
John :)

Hi can someone please advise me. I have noticed in the last week that my car is making a noise from the back wheel sounds like something is catchin on it, I have checked it all out but cant see anything. It doesn't always happen but it happens more times than not...............any ideas please guys?
Cheers

Good evening all. I have got my car checked out its the brake pads n summat else that's the problem not a cheap job costing my about £250.
But if it needs doing the I have 2 pay it huh?

you where courtious and thanked us
so many don't bother and often get shirty because you don't back up there ideas no matter how wrong :D :D

If it needs new pads (and it's been squealing) then most of that cost will be for new rotors (discs) as the pads will have been worn down to the metal (that's what the chafing noise was) and will have scored the discs.

2007 to now sounds about right for new rotors anyway (My car is a 2007 and I've had new rotors).

The problem is exacerbated because manufacturers can no longer use asbestos for the pad (the replacement compound is much harder and wears the disc more).

Sponsored Links
Back