Sound test passed - what flooring now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We passed our sound test for conversion of property into flats but now looking at our flooring options.

I am undecided so seeking second opinion. What would be best to stop any additional sound coming into the flat below?

1. Quick Step Laminate with Quick Step Transitsound underlay or any other type of underlay to go with the laminate - suggestions are welcome.

2. Glue down Vinyl on 6mm plywood. No underlay here

Sponsored Links
Carpet, of course. With underlay.

In the bathroom, padded vinyl. I don't know why you want to glue it down. It will have to be lifted for replacement at intervals.

Glue down LVT on Ply will be more sound absorbing than Laminate.

Avoid Click LVT.

Carpet is of course the most sound absorbing material to install.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for getting back to me.

I’ve got a carpet with underlay in one of the rooms as it’s needed to increase sound proofing. But don’t want it everywhere.

I have scrapped the idea of laminate as the wood just makes too much noise walking over the floor. I’d probably be asking for trouble.

I have come around to the idea of Quick Step click Vinyl though. I’m finding the material of glue down vinyl too thin and might not be comfortable however the click vinyl does have underlay and is good for sound?

Crazydaze - any particular reason why click Vinyl should be avoided even though it’s a quick step brand?

Unless you are intending living in one of the flats and do not want to live with carpets then i would be tempted to just go with carpet as it has better acoustic absorption than timber or vinyl. Speaking from experience you do not want tenant complaints or high turnover either.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’ve got a carpet with underlay in one of the rooms as it’s needed to increase sound proofing. But don’t want it everywhere.

I have scrapped the idea of laminate as the wood just makes too much noise walking over the floor. I’d probably be asking for trouble.

I have come around to the idea of Quick Step click Vinyl though. I’m finding the material of glue down vinyl too thin and might not be comfortable however the click vinyl does have underlay and is good for sound?

Crazydaze - any particular reason why click Vinyl should be avoided even though it’s a quick step brand?

Click LVT has a terrible reputation in the flooring trade although QuickStep is probably one of the best.

The issue is that it’s a thin plastic board with plastic joints. You have to make sure the subfloor is FLAT no matter what the manufacturers claim regarding coping with uneven floors, the joints are very vulnerable to breaking. So basically the same prep as glue down will be required.

You will have to allow expansion around the edge of the room so remove skirts, fit floor, replace skirts OR fit with gaps to skirts and install decorative scotia/beading. With glue down LVT you fit net to existing skirts, no expansion required.

Running Click LVT through doorways with no doorbar to split the floor is a BIG risk due to expansion issues and weak joints as already mentioned, no manufacturer recommends running through doorways without a split. Glue down LVT is fine to run through doorways as one installation.

Increasingly Click LVT manufacturers are stipulating weight can trap and stop the floor from expanding/contracting contributing to breaking joints, this includes installing under apppliances etc! With Glue Down LVT this simply isn’t an issue.

We must have replaced more than 10 click LVT floors for customers that have failed in the last 12 months, many fitted ‘correctly’ but that have just failed. Laminate is a far more resilient floating floor, the board and joint is thicker and stronger. You can buy Laminate with a LVT top surface layer so I’d look for such ranges if you really want a coating product with LVT layer, we won’t fit click LVT at our shop as company policy and will only supply only.

We have this LVT click flooring in our kitchen.

We found is very sturdy - it has been down for two years and hasn't moved. It cleans really easily. It was quite tough to click together. We took off the skirting boards so we could lay it under, but we didn't lay under the appliances. The only thing we were warned is that it can fade if it is in strong sun.

We liked this because the planks are thick and have a sort of strong backing. I attached a photo.

Attachments

• 20240116_125937.jpg
    20240116_125937.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240116_130835.jpg
    20240116_130835.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240116_130816.jpg
    20240116_130816.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 20
Okay thank you all for you help.

I am being pushed to 5mm Royal Gold underlay with Quick Step Laminate. I am taking a look at this regupol product but not sure if 5mm underlay and 8mm laminate will make the floor bouncy on top of the regupol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back