Soundbar inside TV corner unit advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a new oak TV corner unit and placed the sound bar on the higher of two shelves, however the soundbar is actually slightly wider than the front apeture so about an inch of either side is blocked by the front of the unit. So wherever I place the soundbar inside the unit, it sounds very "echoey" especially the lower range.
I would prefer not to place the soundbar on top of the unit, so has anyone any recomendations on how I could improve the sound, perhaps fitting some sort of acoustic material in the soundbar compartment of drilling some holes in the rear etc etc Thanks for any advice
20161119_114714.jpg

Sponsored Links
The problem as you've probably worked out is that the sound is bouncing around the inside of the space. Drilling holes won't fix that. The answer is to take away the empty space so that there's nowhere for the sound to go except forward. That's the theory, but in practise it's a bit trickier because you probably don't want to fill the cabinet with granite or concrete or similar.

What we tend to use in installs where speakers need blocking in to a space in a cabinet is blocks of foam rubber. Polyethylene is pretty dense for a foam. Polyurethane is less dense but will still work. My only concern woould be using these around something powered. The foam will trap heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back