Soundproofing on ceiling requiring building control approval?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We are looking to have some extra soundproofing added to our ceilings using Genie clip system with dB15 Soundboard. The system retains the existing ceiling. We will have some rewiring done (by Part P certified electrician) at the same time to have just one light fitting in each room instead of led lights.

We enquired from our local building authority whether we would require building control approval for the works and they confirmed that we do. We then made a building notice approval and paid £500 for it!

However, we have now heard from a private surveyor that soundproofing to the ceiling with Genie Clip system should not require building control approval. Before contacting our local building surveyor again (I have already asked about this), is there any way we could check for ourselves if it is required? I can’t find any information online regarding building regulations on ceiling soundproofing.

Sponsored Links
For what reasons did Building Control insist an application was required?

Presumably they are asking for an app as they consider it to be structural work under Part A due to the increase in loading. There would be no requirement to submit an app under Part E (sound).
Interesting! I would never have asked for an app under Part A. Even when this type of work is carried out on B Reg apps ie change of use to flats I've never considered the existing structural floor/ceiling.
Technically they are correct but its a little pedantic.

Sponsored Links
Hi again, actually I think the worry is that the Genie Clip system would compromise the one-hour fire separation required between the flats (by possibly interfering the existing ceiling). Does anyone know where I could find more information on this?

Does the new ceiling not give 1 hour FR anyway. You only need to maintain the present level of FR in any case.

It should do. Existing ceiling isn’t removed, but I think the worry is that the way Genie Clip is attached might intervene with existing ceiling and that would cause issues re fire regulations.

To me the method of Genie Clip wouldn’t cause this though:
  • Retain existing ceiling and install genie clip to ceiling joist
  • Place furring strip in position on genie clip
  • Compact fit RW3 50mm acoustic rock wool between furring strips
  • Install 1st layer of 19mm acoustic plank
  • Seal all cavities with acoustic & fire rated mastic
  • Install final layer of 12.5 mm acoustic plasterboard

Have you considered building a completely separate ceiling below and not in contact with the existing ceiling, with new joists fixed to the walls? Or are you limited in ceiling height?

Two layers of soundbloc + insulating quilt should do the trick.

@1st time flat owner As you have paid the BN application fee and assuming the application has already been registered, I’m not sure how you would try and seek a refund. Assuming that is what you were thinking as an Approved Inspector mentioned the works are exempt?

If you had submitted a FP application, you could have probably withdrawn the application and avoided having to pay their inspection fee (assuming they had not yet visited). But with the BN application submitted and fee paid, at least it’ll save you any potential issues in the future should it be picked up and you’re asked to regularise the works.

On this basis, changing a light fitting, or running some speaker cables or pipes across the ceiling would also require a b/regs application as that too "might" affect the ceiling fire resistance. It also might not, which is why the original advice to submit an application would be wrong on that basis, or any basis.

If you were removing the existing ceiling then it would be a material alteration and would definitely require an app, but as you are leaving the original ceiling in place and, as far as I can tell, the ex ceiling isn't really compromised by the new ceiling fixing method, then a B Reg app would not be required in my opinion as this this is not a material alteration.
The requirement for a new build or change of use is 1hr FR, however in this situation you only need to maintain the same FR as the ex ceiling, although in the process of upgrading for sound this will inevitably result in an improvement.
Were B Control made aware the ex ceiling would be left in place?

Thanks for all your replies and help! Yes, they were aware that the existing ceiling would be left in place. The genie clip system is attached to the existing ceiling joints, but this shouldn’t make a difference in 1hr fire regulations?

We have been advised that if building control approval isn’t required, we would be refunded the application fee (no site visits yet). Just need to make our case clear so they’ll review it. It seems a couple of other people I’ve spoken with and who’ve done the same works, haven’t been required to make the application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back