Soundproofing party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Recently I've been becoming more and more annoyed with my neighbours and their kids running up and down the stairs all the time as it sounds like they are in my house! I was even woken up the other day when one of them sneezed.

It was built late 2014/early 2015 by persimmon. They have said it all meets the specs so nothing to do with them.

From what I can tell up in the loft, I have dotdab plasterboard, breeze block, air gap filled with roll insulation, breeze block then dot dab plasterboard on the other side.

I would rather not have to sacrifice room size as they are pretty small already!

Does anyone have any idea what I could do with that cavity to soundproof the house a bit better?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
That sounds like quite a reasonable wall construction. Perhaps the problem is elsewhere, e.g.noise getting over, under or around the wall. See "approved document E", wall type 2.3.

That sounds like quite a reasonable wall construction. Perhaps the problem is elsewhere, e.g.noise getting over, under or around the wall. See "approved document E", wall type 2.3.

I was really surprised when I got up into the loft and saw the construction as the impact noise transfer is crazy!

It genuinely sounds like someone moving about upstairs in my house.

I'm going to get up in the loft and try moving some of the insulation to the side so I can get a proper look down there to check for gaps etc.

Are you aware of anything I could fill the cavity with to reduce noise if I don't spot anything obvious?

Is there a wall in the attic separating the properties? From what you're saying about being able to see the party wall construction says that there isn't one.

What direction do your joists run? If they run side to side, then it's likely the same as your neighbours, and the impact sound is being transmitted that way.

(Also, a double skin party wall??????)

Sponsored Links
Are you aware of anything I could fill the cavity with to reduce noise if I don't spot anything obvious?

My favourite soundproofing site is http://www.soundstop.co.uk/index.php , they have various membranes etc.
But honestly, I don't think you want to be putting stuff in that cavity. You want to be stopping the sound going over the top of the wall (or round the sides etc.)

There is actually a note in doc E for this wall type saying "don't be tempted to fill the cavity".

Is there a wall in the attic separating the properties? From what you're saying about being able to see the party wall construction says that there isn't one.

What direction do your joists run? If they run side to side, then it's likely the same as your neighbours, and the impact sound is being transmitted that way.

(Also, a double skin party wall??????)

The breeze block party wall stops about 2ft up into the loft space and from there up it is just boarded to separate the loft spaces. I would have understood if it was just the upstairs affected by noise but the lounge downstairs gets a lot of impact noise transfer.

I was confused when I saw it was a double skin party wall, but that's what you can see from loft. I'll get a picture later.

I wanted to cap the party wall and build a new stud wall on top to try and reduce anyour noise transfer through the wood board they have used.

There is actually a note in doc E for this wall type saying "don't be tempted to fill the cavity".

Ah, that might be the issue then!
Persimmon used insulation roll in the cavity!

"Don't fill the cavity" was referring to filling it with cement, concrete etc.

"Don't fill the cavity" was referring to filling it with cement, concrete etc.

Yeah that option was never on the table haha

As much as I'd like this to be resolved I'm not carrying 1tonne plus up into the loft!

They are building 3 houses opposite me and the party walls are cavity without insulation.

IMG_0116.JPG

Last edited:
They are building 3 houses opposite me and the party walls are cavity without insulation.

Interesting!

The top of the cavity definitely has insulation in mine but I haven't checked if it runs the whole way down!

I have no idea how I would insulate all the way down as its already built! :/

You would have to pour something in. There are loads of ties between the 2 layers that would stop anything solid going down.

There are loads of ties between the 2 layers that would stop anything solid going down.
Presumably those ties are responsible for much of the noise transfer too (at least below loft level)?

Presumably those ties are responsible for much of the noise transfer too (at least below loft level)?

They have been running around upstairs for the last hour so I smashed the soundsystem (huge bass guitar amp) on for one song and now it's all quiet..

It's 99% is impact noise so I have no idea if the ties are potentially the cause?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back