Soundproofing party wall

The joist hangers could bang but surely their floor doesn't move?

It's pretty interesting watching the houses go up, just a shame I have to cover up in my kitchen.

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have a spandral panel in the loft as you you say blockwork stops if so that will be single skin tacked both sides with plasterboard or cement board
the thing with new builds is the nhbc only check cavitys at first lift so anything dropped down or bridging from there up dosnt get picked up and
persimmon have only just started(1-2 years) using nhbc they was under building control before and got away with murder

sounds like you have a spandral panel in the loft as you you say blockwork stops if so that will be single skin tacked both sides with plasterboard or cement board
the thing with new builds is the nhbc only check cavitys at first lift so anything dropped down or bridging from there up dosnt get picked up and
persimmon have only just started(1-2 years) using nhbc they was under building control before and got away with murder

looks very much like a spandrel panel!

Do you think blocking the top of the cavity off and adding another separate stud wall infront of the spandrel panel would help at all?

So bit of an update after a little bit of investigation.

I can't see anything dropped down (quite difficult to see tbh)
The wall is full of little metal ties as expected.
The wall is filled with acoustic wool.
The loft has a spandrel panel, but i can see both of the breeze block party walls

The impact noise is still driving me insane. It's like the kids chase eachother round upstairs. 3 hours tonight. 3 hours!

It's all impact noise, so does anyone have any idea how I can shut it up?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, unless you are going to go to a lot of expense putting up sound insulation on your party walls, and of bricking up the wall in your loft, the only real option you've got, is to go and talk to them (they may not realise the problems they are causing) as their behaviour come under the anti social category, and they are not allowed to carry on in a manner that things can be heard outside of their property.

If they are not prepared to be more considerate, then you can warn them that you've got no other option than to turn your music and tv up to drown out the noise, but you'll turn it down as soon as the kids go to bed.

As to a noise complaint, you just ring the council offices, and tell them of the problem, and they'll send a letter to your neighbour, and send you a form to keep track of the noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back