Space for a brickie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im planning a self build extension (first time doing anything like this) with some help from my dad who has done some self builds himself doing as much of the work as he could getting trades in when needed.

I have drawn the plans and written the regs for the extension myself, which have been been accepted.

Its a 2 storey side and rear extension. Our garage was attached to the neighbours garage with a walkway between our garage and house. We are knocking down our garage and rebuilding it attached to our house with bedrooms on top, so the gap would then seperate our houses.
When I drew the plans I made a 250mm gap between the houses to make the most out of the extension and but (hopefully) without looking terraced.

The neighbour has already build an extension over his garage and when we demolished our garage we realised the guttering for his is 60mm over the boundry line. Our existing soffiets and tile overhang our wall by 250mm so if we continued with the same design the two would obviously clash.

My dad is suggesting to have a 400mm gap between the houses instead to solve the clashing roofs and says it would also enable a brickie to get down the side to point. Surely 400mm is not enough to work in? Would a brickie even be willing to? I would have to change all the plans including the redesign of a staircase that we only just got to fit. I feel it would all be pointless as it still wouldnt be a workable space. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Build it over-hand close to the boundary. Why waste space?

Either get the neighbour to adapt his gutter, or you do it for him. Or adapt your eaves design around this.

Build it over-hand close to the boundary. Why waste space?

Either get the neighbour to adapt his gutter, or you do it for him. Or adapt your eaves design around this.

This is my thinking. I want to get the most out of the extension but my dad thought over hand would look terrible. I think my dad is quick to dismiss me as I dont have any experience but im learning as I go so wanted another opinion.

Im not sure how we could adapt the neighbours guttering though?
Ours will be gable so no need for guttering but his is hip so overhangs the boundry for 7ish metres.

Sponsored Links
You wont see the wall if the neighbours wall is blocking it. How good over-hand look depends on how good the bricklayers are.

You will need to step the wall back from the boundary about 50-70mm anyway to allow for the verge undercloak, so I can't see a problem as the wall will miss the gutter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back