Spam received addressed to a Closed account

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am receiving in excess of 50 Spam mails a day and the number is gradually increasing. The mails are addressed to an account I had with Taltalk but closed the account 3 years ago. I now use a gmail account.
Somehow these spam mails are addressed to the talktalk account but are received through my gmail account, just how that link is made remains a mystery to me.
I have contacted Talktalk as they must be receiving the mails and somehow forwarding them on to my gmail address , just how they do that is beyond me. The Talktalk guy suggested I go on to my talktalk account and cancel the mail service. I of course can't do that because the talk talk account was cancelled tree years ago. I started to get annoyed and frustrated with the Talktalk rep as he kept insisting I go to the non existent account. He eventually just hung up on me.
I have tried all sorts of Junk Mail filtering setting in my gmail account but nothing seems to work, so I still get 50+ and rising Spam Mails a day.
Can anyone give me some advice as what to do to stop these ridiculous and offensive mails getting to me.

Sponsored Links
When you signed up for your Gmail account you probably stated your TalkTalk account as the alternative.

3srh.png

Might also be worth going to TalkTalk webmail page and seeing if you can log into your old TalkTalk mail account

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/mail/?check_cookie=1

Hi CylonRaider.
I think that is the answer as to why I am getting talktalk spams. I must admit I could not remember adding that account when I set up Gmail but thinking about it, I probably did just incase I was sent any mails to Talktalk after I changed to Gmail. I thought that when I cancelled my Talktalk account they would have also cancelled my email account. That is of course ignorance on my behalf.
I have deleted the 'other account' as you suggested and I am confident that this will sort it out.
Thanks so much for your advice .

Hi Cylon Rider,
I have received replies from DIYnot for the last few years and had not noticed that they were all in fact sent to my talk talk address. Of course I did not change my address setting in DIYnot, a fact that I had completely overlooked.
I have changed the setting to my gmail address on DIYnot, would you be so kind as to send a reply to this thread which will confirm to me that the new address in DIYnot is my gmail address.
It is always the same when you change, banks/energy supplier/ISP etc, there are always some setting here there and everywhere that are forgotten, even changing clocks for BST, i always find one clock somewhere a few months down the line that I forgot to reset.
SO this advice you gave me has had two solutions if your reply gets through to my gmail address.

Sponsored Links
Back