Spare tyre.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just bought a second hand Ford Fiesta Zietec with 3 alloys and a/the spare wheel.How long should I drive on the spare for? Someone told me a max of 50 miles,is this true? :confused:

Sponsored Links
you can drive on it indefinitely, but the maximum speed will be 50mph, and it will also fail the mot so will need to be put right before then

Depends what type of spare. If its a space saver spare, i,e its narrower than the other tyres then it will say on it the maximum speed you can go.

If its the same size as the other wheels then you can drive on it for as long as you like and at what speeds you like.

Sponsored Links
I don't think Fiesta's have a space saver because the spare is carried underneath the car.

I don't think Fiesta's have a space saver because the spare is carried underneath the car.

I assumed they meant they are running on three alloys and the spare tyre on the road at the minute. So they have no spare tyre in the boot cos its on the car at the minute!

The other alloy was in the boot (it had a huge dent in it),so its 3 alloys and 'the' spare tyre.Its carried underneath the chassis when not in use btw. Just had a look and its a 165/70 R13 79T.My other tyres are 185/55/14. So unless Im mistaken,the spare is indeed narrower but it has a 'T' speed rating which means I can go up to 118mph?! :eek:

yeah but i wouldn't if i were you!!!

it really needs sorting as soon as possible, even though its not a space saver, its still smaller than the other 3 which will fail its mot and effect handling, you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand wheel from a breakers or off ebay

Cheers guys. Alloys for the Zetec (4 spoke) are rarer than rocking horse sh*t on e-bay at the mo.How much should I expect to pay? The tyre on the damaged alloy seems in good nick btw so I just need an alloy really.Know of any good reputable sellers online?

Sponsored Links
Back